Quantcast

Which schools most emphasize numbers?

BeMo Free Repeat™ On Us + 5 Med School Challenge
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FRL1596

Reaction score
My numbers are pretty good (3.94/523) but I have just about 100 hours of community service and no research on my app.

I know all schools emphasize community service heavily and prefer research. But I feel like there have to be some that are especially likely to bite on numbers.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I'm trying not to throw away too much time/money on schools that won't consider me.

I'm a Texas resident if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

anonymoose1640

Reaction score
Your numbers are great but like people said in your other thread: you'd be better off taking a gap year (or two) and boosting your numbers so you have a real shot at any medical school of your choosing. Some schools love numbers, but even they require volunteering, patient contact experience, shadowing, and they encourage research. With only 100 hrs of volunteering and nothing else but internships and employment, even the number loving schools might not give you an interview.

To answer your question though, the schools that love numbers the most, in my opinion, are WashU, Penn, UChicago, and Vanderbilt.

Good luck :)

candbgirl

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why did you start another thread? You still don't have the ECs that will seal the deal for an acceptance. If you are looking for different answers that tell you " go apply anywhere, the med school world is your oyster" I doubt you'll get it. Take the gap year and apply next June and you'll be really successful. You only want to apply one time with the best possible application possible. Do what is needed to make your total application amazing.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user

FRL1596

Reaction score
I wasn't looking for positive answers, I simply wanted schools at which I had a better chance, given my circumstances.

Clearly I'll have to apply at lower level MD/DO schools and I of course understand that there is a decent chance I don't get in anywhere. This is already a gap year and I'm just not willing to take 2 without at least trying to get accepted somewhere.

With that being said, I appreciate you alls input.

anonymoose1640

Reaction score
The problem is that lower level MD schools won't interview you because your numbers are so far above their 90th percentile that they'll assume you won't go. DO schools, I think, place more emphasis on holistic review of applicants which includes your volunteering, shadowing, and research.

I know taking two whole gap years might seem like the end of the world, but I can assure you it is not. It is better to apply once knowing you have submitted the best application possible than to waste precious time and money applying to schools that won't want to interview you because you don't have an established record of commitment to medicine, altruism, and service to the community. At the end of the day, it is entirely your decision but I would not feel okay endorsing you to apply this cycle. If you choose to apply, then I can only hope that I am proven wrong.

In any event, good luck :)

Reactions: 1 users

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
None of them.

Yours is not the application of a person who dearly wants to be a physician. It is the application of someone who wants to be a doctor as long as it is convenient. My student interviewers would eat you alive.

My numbers are pretty good (3.94/523) but I have just about 100 hours of community service and no research on my app.

I know all schools emphasize community service heavily and prefer research. But I feel like there have to be some that are especially likely to bite on numbers.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I'm trying not to throw away too much time/money on schools that won't consider me.

I'm a Texas resident if that helps.

Reactions: 2 users

FRL1596

Reaction score
None of them.

Yours is not the application of a person who dearly wants to be a physician. It is the application of someone who wants to be a doctor as long as it is convenient. My student interviewers would eat you alive.

Looks like I'll have to rack up some more hours then!

ace_inhibitor111

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I looked up some "case studies" of people with high scores and low ECs online. Turns out, they had some success in mid tier schools that are fond of numbers (SLU, UCincinatti, Albany Medical College). So you may get into a school there or your state schools, but it will be difficult to get into a top 20 or even 30 since you can expect there to be at least 500-1000 people with greater or nearly equal stats to yours and you can bet they will be applying all across the Top 20.

Last edited:

FRL1596

Reaction score
I looked up some "case studies" of people with high scores and low ECs online. Turns out, they had some success in mid tier schools that are fond of numbers (SLU, UCincinatti, Albany Medical College). So you may get into a school there or your state schools, but it will be extremely hard to get into a top 20 or even 30 since you can expect there to be at least 500-1000 people with greater or nearly equal stats to yours and you can bet they will be applying all across the Top 20.

Thank you, I'll have to look into those. I knew it would be difficult at top tiered schools so I may just cave and take the gap year although people more intimately familiar with my application and PS (advisors etc.) have advised me to apply this cycle.

How damaging do you think reapplying with bolstered ECs be in a worst case where I did apply this cycle and did not get accepted anywhere?

ace_inhibitor111

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you, I'll have to look into those. I knew it would be difficult at top tiered schools so I may just cave and take the gap year although people more intimately familiar with my application and PS (advisors etc.) have advised me to apply this cycle.

How damaging do you think reapplying with bolstered ECs be in a worst case where I did apply this cycle and did not get accepted anywhere?

You won't really have any disadvantage if you are applying to a completely new set of schools (except if they ask on the secondary if you applied before). However, at schools where you are considered a reapplicant, having high stats and not getting in anywhere last cycle is seen as a red flag. Top 20s are especially unforgiving unless you manage to do something amazing in your gap year. I will let the more experienced members speak, however, as I am an applicant myself; but this is what I've gathered through much research.

Faha

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

I would be surprised if you did not receive several interviews from your Texas schools. There are fewer than 500 applicants per year nationally that apply with your GPA and MCAT range and 93% are accepted to a MD school.

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
No school bites strictly on numbers with no ECs. You've gotta have something to show you've got that something extra schools are looking for, or into the trash your application goes.

A

AnatomyGrey12

The closest thing is Wash U. Even then you still need good ECs