Which schools must have DO letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JerseyBelle

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I am currently shadowing a DO, but it is nothing like I expected. It has been a true eye-opener, and I know I want to go to osteopathic school. But, I don't think she can come up with a letter for me that will make a difference. I am decided that I will talk to her Friday to see how much longer she is willing to let me shadow her. I get the feeling that I am somehow in the way... seriously.
My question is: What DO schools HANDS DOWN will tell me no without a DO letter? I am applying to DO schools, but my situation sucks. I live in Central NJ, so DOs unoccupied (by Rutgers students) are extremely hard to find.
What should I do?
Any NON SCATHING advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Belle

Members don't see this ad.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by JerseyBelle:
•Hello all. I am currently shadowing a DO, but it is nothing like I expected. It has been a true eye-opener, and I know I want to go to osteopathic school. But, I don't think she can come up with a letter for me that will make a difference. •••••Do you mean she won't write a letter or that you don't think her letter will be good?

OSU-COM requires a letter.

BTW-there was a thread on this not too long ago. I know search is down, but you may look back a few pages in pre-osteo.

Do you mean she will not be willing to write a letter.

Well I would find a DO that will write you one. Remember they go out with secondaries so you have plenty of time.

Of the school I applied to:
LECOM (required) had a special form
NSUCOM (required) had a special form
PCOM not required but heavily favored
CCOM not required but strongly suggested
NYCOM asked on the 2nd app which is filled out during interview if you submitted a letter from a DO.

AK

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's the previous thread I referred to.

<a href="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=003119" target="_blank">http://forums.studentdoctor.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=003119</a>

AZCOM definitely requires one.
NYCOM though they say it's optional I recall when interviewing the ladies in the admissions office emphasizing "We STRONGLY suggest you get a letter from a D.O."

It isn't that I don't think she will write a letter, but I don't think she will write one that could really help me...

TUCOM required a letter from either MD or DO
COMP required DO