Which schools must have DO letter?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by JerseyBelle, Jun 12, 2002.

1. JerseyBelle

JerseyBelle Member

Hello all. I am currently shadowing a DO, but it is nothing like I expected. It has been a true eye-opener, and I know I want to go to osteopathic school. But, I don't think she can come up with a letter for me that will make a difference. I am decided that I will talk to her Friday to see how much longer she is willing to let me shadow her. I get the feeling that I am somehow in the way... seriously.
    My question is: What DO schools HANDS DOWN will tell me no without a DO letter? I am applying to DO schools, but my situation sucks. I live in Central NJ, so DOs unoccupied (by Rutgers students) are extremely hard to find.
    What should I do?
    Any NON SCATHING advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Belle

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrMom

DrMom Official Mom of SDN
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by JerseyBelle:
    <strong>Hello all. I am currently shadowing a DO, but it is nothing like I expected. It has been a true eye-opener, and I know I want to go to osteopathic school. But, I don't think she can come up with a letter for me that will make a difference. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Do you mean she won't write a letter or that you don't think her letter will be good?

OSU-COM requires a letter.

BTW-there was a thread on this not too long ago. I know search is down, but you may look back a few pages in pre-osteo.

4. Doc AdamK in 2006

Doc AdamK in 2006 Now 2 year UB Med Doc

Do you mean she will not be willing to write a letter.

Well I would find a DO that will write you one. Remember they go out with secondaries so you have plenty of time.

Of the school I applied to:
    LECOM (required) had a special form
    NSUCOM (required) had a special form
    PCOM not required but heavily favored
    CCOM not required but strongly suggested
    NYCOM asked on the 2nd app which is filled out during interview if you submitted a letter from a DO.

AK

5. DrMom

DrMom Official Mom of SDN
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Here's the previous thread I referred to.

<a href="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=003119" target="_blank">http://forums.studentdoctor.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=003119</a>

6. tedsadoc2002

tedsadoc2002 Senior Member

AZCOM definitely requires one.
    NYCOM though they say it's optional I recall when interviewing the ladies in the admissions office emphasizing "We STRONGLY suggest you get a letter from a D.O."

7. JerseyBelle

JerseyBelle Member

It isn't that I don't think she will write a letter, but I don't think she will write one that could really help me...

8. oceana

oceana Member

TUCOM required a letter from either MD or DO
    COMP required DO