Which Schools Party the Least? The Most?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iampurestyle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heeeelllloooooo....

It would be really helpful if people could list which schools are the most party heavy and which are the most studious.

Mild partying is ok but I am looking for a school where weekly drunkenness is not required in order to bond with fellow classmates. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

iampurestyle said:
Heeeelllloooooo....

It would be really helpful if people could list which schools are the most party heavy and which are the most studious.

Mild partying is ok but I am looking for a school where weekly drunkenness is not required in order to bond with fellow classmates. Any suggestions?

I heard Chico is very subdued and light on the parties.

Definately DON'T go to MIT. That has frat scene written all over it!

nicholonious said:
I heard Chico is very subdued and light on the parties.

Definately DON'T go to MIT. That has frat scene written all over it!

Yeah, that's why I a kid from Chico St. died due to a hazing ritual (binge drinking water).

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssse!!!! Chico St. is nowhere near a light party school

Members don't see this ad :)
riceman04 said:
Yeah, that's why I a kid from Chico St. died due to a hazing ritual (binge drinking water).

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssse!!!! Chico St. is nowhere near a light party school

heh. I was kidding. Chico's so party-oriented that its still going strong on Sundays.

I go to Chico. I was actually born here. There are parties at every University, Chico really isn't that special. I do look forward to the summer though, when all the bros leave.

The Western half of the US has some pretty big party schools -- Chico, Santa Barbara, cal poly slo, asu. All very subjective but according to school student self reporting collected by princeton review the five biggest party schools:

SUNY-Albany
Wash. and Lee
Wisconsin - Madison
WVU
Ohio Univ. - Athens

This list troubles me however. All of these schools are in sort of bum towns -- especially W&L, WVU and the Ohio campus. That sort of makes sense as they have nothing else to do. They're probably all standing in a field or a barn drinking , maybe thousands of kids. So there parties are probably big but how cool can they be if you can't throw them at a nifty bar or get a cool band or things along those lines.

USCTex said:
The Western half of the US has some pretty big party schools -- Chico, Santa Barbara, cal poly slo, asu. All very subjective but according to school student self reporting collected by princeton review the five biggest party schools:

SUNY-Albany
Wash. and Lee
Wisconsin - Madison
WVU
Ohio Univ. - Athens

This list troubles me however. All of these schools are in sort of bum towns -- especially W&L, WVU and the Ohio campus. That sort of makes sense as they have nothing else to do. They're probably all standing in a field or a barn drinking , maybe thousands of kids. So there parties are probably big but how cool can they be if you can't throw them at a nifty bar or get a cool band or things along those lines.

Excuse me, but I go to Cal Poly SLO and it is definitely NOT a party school. In fact U.S. News (or was it Princeton Review?) ranked it is the fourth nerdiest school in the nation, right behind MIT.

And from personal experience, there are very few parties here. The only wild one left was Mardi Gras in February, but the city cracked down on that with so many police (like 500 officers on duty) that we have no parites anymore. Not that I care as a big science nerd, but I'm just letting you know.

Cal Poly may be a state school, but I've never heard anyone but you call it a party school. For engineering and architecture it's one of the hardest schools to get into in the country. In addition, it's definitely not in a "bum town". Have you seen the price of real estate around here? :eek: A cheap house is $350,000!

USCTex said:
SUNY-Albany
Wash. and Lee
Wisconsin - Madison
WVU
Ohio Univ. - Athens

All of these schools are in sort of bum towns -- especially W&L, WVU and the Ohio campus. That sort of makes sense as they have nothing else to do.

you are right, schools that have nothing else to do are usually party schools.

so going to any big city schools, like NYU would be better, there will be parties but also a lot of studying, ....etc

tacrum43 said:
And from personal experience, there are very few parties here. The only wild one left was Mardi Gras in February, but the city cracked down on that with so many police (like 500 officers on duty) that we have no parites anymore. Not that I care as a big science nerd, but I'm just letting you know.

Yeah, we really cracked down on Halloween here because it was getting out of hand. Before the city "cancelled" Halloween I would agree with people that Chico is a party town, but now that we have mounted police officers down town during Halloween and spring vacation occurs during St. Patricks day it really isn't that much different from most schools. Definitely not a nerdy school though I wish it were.

No way theres another person from Chico here! Being that I am going to Chico State I can totally agree with the fact that it is a huge party town, but the upside is that I have gotten alot of experience in dealing with beligerant patients and have seen more then i want to regards to stomach pumpings. Its not really the sight that gets you but the smell, it can linger for hours i swear...

abraxas said:
No way theres another person from Chico here! Being that I am going to Chico State I can totally agree with the fact that it is a huge party town, but the upside is that I have gotten alot of experience in dealing with beligerant patients and have seen more then i want to regards to stomach pumpings. Its not really the sight that gets you but the smell, it can linger for hours i swear...

What year are you?

iampurestyle said:
Heeeelllloooooo....

Well since you are an automatic in to every med-school with a 3.7 gpa and a 36+ mcat, you shouldnt have a hard time deciding on a great party school.

sophmore, and i actually grew up here too, PV grad 2003 baby...

Members don't see this ad :)
abraxas said:
sophmore, and i actually grew up here too, PV grad 2003 baby...

Wow, I graduated from Champion in 99, but I used to run cross country with Mr. Guilbransen. Is Dr. Mahoney your advisor? I'm taking Immuno with him right now. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about anything, I'm inbetween trying to get off the waitlist and looking at reapplying right now. Or you can stop by the Chemistry Club on the third floor of the physical science building if you want to see what a stressed out waitlisted senior looks like during dead week. Good luck on finals.

I was born at Enloe, can you beat that?

USCTex said:

SUNY-Albany
Wash. and Lee
Wisconsin - Madison
WVU
Ohio Univ. - Athens

Madison WI is a bum town? Right, based on personal experience no doubt.

They do party, hard... On the other hand UW-WI is perennially top-tier ranked.

lol yeah Dr. Mahoney is my advisor and since i am the vice-president for the pre-med club i get to "work" with him on that too. Luckly i will be in England next year so i will be taking Immunology there. Never did cross country, thought you guys were crazy for enjoying running. Well were kind of getting off topic here so i will PM you alright. O and to get back on topic, chico is always going strong on sunday, some of the best drinking deals are on sunday man.

abraxas said:
lol yeah Dr. Mahoney is my advisor and since i am the vice-president for the pre-med club i get to "work" with him on that too. Luckly i will be in England next year so i will be taking Immunology there. Never did cross country, thought you guys were crazy for enjoying running. Well were kind of getting off topic here so i will PM you alright. O and to get back on topic, chico is always going strong on sunday, some of the best drinking deals are on sunday man.

You are totally ruining my attempt to play down the party school reputation, haha

Hey everyone knows that chico state is a party school, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't have extremely hard working students at it who do not party. I mean Chico state is in the top 5 universitys in the west.

abraxas said:
Hey everyone knows that chico state is a party school, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't have extremely hard working students at it who do not party. I mean Chico state is in the top 5 universitys in the west.

When I was interviewing in the East no one had even heard of Chico and I was actually glad since everyone on this side of the country equates it with partying. My friend actually got ribbed a little bit during her interview at Loma Linda. I don't believe I've ever heard the top 5 thing, what category was it?

I believe that it was for top State university in the west, but going on this from memory so i could be wrong on that...

abraxas said:
I believe that it was for top State university in the west, but going on this from memory so i could be wrong on that...

Chico is number 3 on the "best public, largely undergraduate university in the west" in U.S. News.

And Cal Poly is #1! (for 12 years running now) Hey, you add enough qualifiers and anything can be number 1.

i personally cherish Chico States rankings as number 1 and now number 2 party school in the USA mainly because it causes people to think that i have a social life when i tell them i got to Chico. It keeps me from having to explain that i spend more time in the biology building then i do in my bed...

tacrum43 said:
Excuse me, but I go to Cal Poly SLO and it is definitely NOT a party school. In fact U.S. News (or was it Princeton Review?) ranked it is the fourth nerdiest school in the nation, right behind MIT.

Cal Poly may be a state school, but I've never heard anyone but you call it a party school. For engineering and architecture it's one of the hardest schools to get into in the country. In addition, it's definitely not in a "bum town". Have you seen the price of real estate around here? :eek: A cheap house is $350,000!

Um remeber that is Princeton Review and not U.S. news. Most of their info is based on what students write about their school (not to say that Cal Poly SLO does not have very nerdy students).