Which schools reimburse interview travel expenses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InNotOf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or do they all expect you to pick it up on your own?

Members don't see this ad.

UIC is the only one of mine that I know does

Of the schools I interviewed at:

Wash U - puts you in an extremely nice hotel, pays and arranges for airfare.

Penn - pays for a nice hotel for up to three nights.

U of Minnesota - either pays for hotel or reimburses an equivalent amount of your travel costs.

Members don't see this ad :)
great question. I was wondering about that myself at the beginning of the app season.

Duke: pay partially ($ ~250 I think for travel)
University of Washington at Seatle: ~$400 for travel

I didn't pay much attention to hotel costs, since I didn't actually go on these interviews. But I usually prefer to stay with a host anyways just to learn more about the school.

I'm still waiting for my $72 from Northwestern. I submitted receipts and everything. Well, with interest and inflation they owe me more like $325.32, given that it was 1999. You hear me Northwestern? I want my D*MN MONEY. YOU THOUGHT I FORGOT, DIDN'T YOU?

/past my bedtime

I'm still waiting for my $72 from Northwestern. I submitted receipts and everything. Well, with interest and inflation they owe me more like $325.32, given that it was 1999. You hear me Northwestern? I want my D*MN MONEY. YOU THOUGHT I FORGOT, DIDN'T YOU?

/past my bedtime

LOL!

Well, these days Northwestern puts you up in the Doubletree, which means COOKIES!!!!. But no airfare.

North Carolina pays for airfare and puts you up in the Carolina Inn, which is managed by Doubletree, so EVEN MORE COOKIES!!! (Plus you don't share a room with an applicant, and that bed was incredible)

I know Mayo covers everything, even though I didn't end up going on that one.

Michigan reimburses up to $400 in travel expenses and puts you up in the Campus Inn, which is a nice hotel, although sadly no cookies. But Michigan is awesome anyway so that makes up for it.

UT Southwestern, Baylor, Harvard, and Hopkins do not pay for lodging or travel, although they will provide you with a host if you need one.

Vanderbilt, UVA and Rochester all repayed 300/400 of travel costs if I remember correctly. Most of the places I went payed for hotel or provided a place to stay (except Tufts) and food, but not travel.

LOL!

Well, these days Northwestern puts you up in the Doubletree, which means COOKIES!!!!. But no airfare.

North Carolina pays for airfare and puts you up in the Carolina Inn, which is managed by Doubletree, so EVEN MORE COOKIES!!! (Plus you don't share a room with an applicant, and that bed was incredible)

I know Mayo covers everything, even though I didn't end up going on that one.

Michigan reimburses up to $400 in travel expenses and puts you up in the Campus Inn, which is a nice hotel, although sadly no cookies. But Michigan is awesome anyway so that makes up for it.

UT Southwestern, Baylor, Harvard, and Hopkins do not pay for lodging or travel, although they will provide you with a host if you need one.

the bathrooms are too small at campus in, but it's pretty nice other than that. Unfortunately there are not many options within the city

Umass covers travel and lodging, Einstein and Cornell provide housing

UAB pays for and arranges travel, hotel, and meals for the interview. Case Western paid for/arranged a hotel for one night and a student host for the second, and all meals. UIUC MSP arranged for a student host. Most other places I interviewed at provided at least one dinner with students/faculty, but I don't recall any others that paid for travel/hotels.

I'll go ahead and throw in some info for other schools I interviewed at:

-Ohio State paid for everything and reimbursed me for mileage.
-Mayo reimbursed up to $400 and paid for the hotel.
-University of Chicago reimbursed all expenses and put us up in a really nice hotel.

I think those are the only ones that haven't been mentioned yet (I just wanted to clear up that Mayo was <$400.)

Can anyone comment on the situation with interviews at Emory, UCSD, Yale, Case Western Reserve, Mount Sinai, NYU, UCLA, Pitt, U of Iowa, or U of Wisconsin?

Also do schools which don't reimburse hotel generally offer lodging with a student host?

I didn't go to the interview, but the invitation said: "The Case MSTP does not cover the cost of transportation to and from Cleveland, but it does support the following: all transportation within Cleveland, first evening hotel accommodations, second night with a student host, and all meal costs."

Emory puts you up with a student host, has people pick you up and take you to the airport, but doesn't pay for travel
Case puts you in a hotel the first night and with a host the second night, and has people pick you up and take you to the airport, but doesn't pay for travel
NYU puts you up in a hotel but doesn't pay for travel
UCLA doesn't pay for travel but arranges a student host if you ask for it

Pitt and Yale both don't cover transportation costs, but put you up with a student host.

the university of Iowa pays for and arranges everything...

I think Duke does.