which schools require DO/Physician letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spinestudent

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which of the twenty DO schools don't require a letter from a physician or DO?

(I've already tried the search function and no luck)

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

OU-COM recommends, but does not require, a letter from a physician.

Pikeville requires a letter from a physician, preferably a DO.

Virginia requires a DO recommendation. MD's simply will not substitute! The secondary looks quite adamant!

Other than those....I don't know.

Willow

Members don't see this ad :)
OU-COM sounds good but it's a state school.....80% of the matriculating students are OH residents. What about LECOM, Western, NYCOM, etc??? Anywhere else that doesnt?

spinestudent,

Western does not require a DO letter, but there is a specific section on their secondary that asks you to list your shadowing experience and to specify if that shadowing was done with either a DO or an MD... From Western's secondary instruction sheet

"A letter of recommendation from a physician, who you have worked with or observed in a clinical setting, is required. A letter of recommendation from a DO is preferred, however we will accept a letter from an MD."

My school also does not require a DO letter... From Touro's FAQ section of their admissions page

"5. What letters of recommendation does TUCOM require me to submit with my secondary application?

Answer: Applicants are required to submit one letter of recommendation from a D.O. (a letter from an M.D. may be used to fulfill this requirement) together with either a pre-professional committee letter OR two letters from basic science faculty. Original letters or copies of original letters mailed directly to TUCOM by the author and/or Pre-Professional Committee are acceptable."

Hope this helps!!

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]

LECOM requires that one be from a D.O. I think, and don't hold me to this, that KCOM and CCOM prefer, but not necessarily require.

Dr_Sax

KCOM, CCOM, and AZCOM require a physician letter - but preferably a DO.