Which schools require non science LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

veaselhaufen

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... which schools require non science lors.... Damn them

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of a school or committee packet not requiring at least one, but usually just one.

Yeah, it is typically two science LOR's, and one non-science LOR's.

The story is different if you are in a Master's or Doctoral Program, which differs from school-to-school (they usually require something like a PI LOR or something from the program director).

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no committe. I don't know if this changes things. By looking at websites, I have found that Harvard, Michigan, Utah, Vermont require non science LORs. Are there any more? I don't take non science classes often, and when I do its ALWAYS with a grad student instructor. Lame

I have no committe. I don't know if this changes things. By looking at websites, I have found that Harvard, Michigan, Utah, Vermont require non science LORs. Are there any more? I don't take non science classes often, and when I do its ALWAYS with a grad student instructor. Lame

I think it is safe to say that the vast majority require at least one non-science letter.

I think it is safe to say that the vast majority require at least one non-science letter.

Any second opinions out there? I'm looking at websites right now and the vast majority mention nothing about the necessity of non science lors.

I am almost completely certain now that this is bogus. Does anyone have a definitive list of what schools need those pesky non-science lors.. Anyone?.. Buehler?

I am almost completely certain now that this is bogus. Does anyone have a definitive list of what schools need those pesky non-science lors.. Anyone?.. Buehler?

I'd say about half the schools require a non-sci LOR; this is from my own investigations of different schools while I was applying. I don't think anyone has a "definitive list"... you're just going to have to go to each school's website and look it up yourself. And just for the record, my non-science LOR was from a grad student, and I've been accepted. Make sure to call the school to ask if this is ok though, just to be safe.

Most schools I know require at least 1 character or personal reference as well as 1 rec. from a non-sci professor in addition to the traditional 2 science letters. Some schools may allow you to substitute a letter from a physician or boss or something in place of the non-sci professor, but generally you'll need at least 1 from some professor in humanities, literature, etc.

It's difficult getting the letters believe me. With 100's of other students begging for them it's difficult to think yours will be any more noteworthy; unless you personally know each professor you ask which is something very difficult to do.

Most schools I know require at least 1 character or personal reference as well as 1 rec. from a non-sci professor in addition to the traditional 2 science letters. Some schools may allow you to substitute a letter from a physician or boss or something in place of the non-sci professor, but generally you'll need at least 1 from some professor in humanities, literature, etc.

It's difficult getting the letters believe me. With 100's of other students begging for them it's difficult to think yours will be any more noteworthy; unless you personally know each professor you ask which is something very difficult to do.

Is something like Psychology or Kinesiology considered "non-science?"