Which schools send secondaries to ALL applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

i77ac

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out roughly how much cash I am going to need for the secondaries. To those who are aware, could you share with me which of the schools below send secondaries to all applicants (without any screening)? I appreciate your help.

Drew
Columbia
Dartmouth
UCLA
Duke
Georgetown
Harvard
Hopkins
USC
Mayo
Mount Sinai
New York
Northwestern
Stanford
UCSD
UCSF
UC Davis
UCI
U of Michigan
UPenn
Cornell
Yale

Members don't see this ad.

Do you expect to have a decent GPA/MCAT?
With a 3.5 / 30 ish, expect to get them all (hmm... maybe not ucsf, but the rest).

Mr Reddly said:
Do you expect to have a decent GPA/MCAT?
With a 3.5 / 30 ish, expect to get them all (hmm... maybe not ucsf, but the rest).

nodd... well above them. ;)

But I still wonder which ones do not screen for secondaries... anyone know which?

Members don't see this ad :)
ill tell you which do... drew, all the uc's, mayo (phone interview), stanford

which ones i know that dont... usc, harvard, pretty sure yale doesnt.

hope that helps for now.

but yeah. as far as mcat, as long as you have an 8 or above on each section, you should get all the 2ndaries. prepare to pay them all!

Thanks guys,

I think i'm going to have to cut my list a bit. A bit too expensive I think... Around $100 per each for secondaries would you say? I definitely have to cut some in that case. :(

Others may balk, but I'm going to have to dissagree... Think of it as part of the medical education... one of those schools that you don't apply to might just give you a kick ass scholarship and endup saving you money in the end. Besides, it's pocket change in comparison to 250k+!

As a californian, I would say 'bite the bullet'. do the secs... skip the interviews if cost becomes a factor... That's what eats the money IMHO!

Remember... if you have to apply again next year (heaven forbid), you'll kick yourself for not sending more. :eek:

MrReddly has a point. Interview costs (flights, hotels) add up FAST and you can figure you'll be spending up to $500 for each. That's what happened to me, especially when you don't have that much notice before you have to book a flight, which makes it all the more expensive. You can always turn down interviews if you've gotten a lot of invites!

On the flip side of auto secondaries is the fact that your app can be completed sooner. If you apply early and get your secondaries back super quick, you will get interviews sooner. It does suck to shell out a couple of grand though.

If you are over 3.5 30 the only school you listed that might not give you a secondary is Stanford. They have a strange screen. Mich screens at the level of LOR. Most get a secondary, but only some are asked for their LORs.