Which schools should I apply to/WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flotus

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which schools follow wholistic criteria/are less competitive when evaluating an OOS applicant the most?

I know schools like Cornell and Mizzou are very GPA focused. Which schools should I apply to if my GPA is average (3.6 overall, 3.3/3.4 science) but I am well rounded. I am also applying to my in-state (Auburn). I do not want to apply to Caribbean/overseas schools.

Here are the schools I CAN apply to:

Auburn, Cornell, Colorado, Kansas State, Lincoln Memorial, Long Island, Louisiana State, Midwestern, Mississippi State, Ohio State, Oregon State, Purdue, Tufts, Florida, Minnesota, Missouri, Wisconsin, Western.
Maybe Tennessee: it says they require 4 hours physio no lab, but my course is only 3 hours at my university. I need to call them.

I would like to apply to 8-10 schools.

Any information is helpful! Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

We need more info. Please take a look at the other threads and follow the format they use so we can give you realistic advice.

Reactions: 2 users
We need more info. Please take a look at the other threads and follow the format they use so we can give you realistic advice.
Sorry. I’m not looking for what are my chances of getting in to specific schools. I have another thread with that. I guess I just meant what specific schools focus less on GPA and use a more wholistic approach. I can copy my other stuff here if that will still help?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Which schools follow wholistic criteria/are less competitive when evaluating an OOS applicant the most?

I know schools like Cornell and Mizzou are very GPA focused. Which schools should I apply to if my GPA is average (3.6 overall, 3.3/3.4 science) but I am well rounded. I am also applying to my in-state (Auburn). I do not want to apply to Caribbean/overseas schools.

Here are the schools I CAN apply to:

Auburn, Cornell, Colorado, Kansas State, Lincoln Memorial, Long Island, Louisiana State, Midwestern, Mississippi State, Ohio State, Oregon State, Purdue, Tufts, Florida, Minnesota, Missouri, Wisconsin, Western.
Maybe Tennessee: it says they require 4 hours physio no lab, but my course is only 3 hours at my university. I need to call them.

I would like to apply to 8-10 schools.

Any information is helpful! Thanks all!
Ah a lot of those schools are gpa heavy, not sure about Long Island (that's a newer school right?). I really liked Oregon, Tufts, and Wisconsin but I didn't make it to the interview process there. You will always have better odds with your in state but I found Western to be very GPA forgiving, they had me fill out a separate form with all of the classes I retook to get a better grade so that they could take a better look at my overall improvement which I think helped a lot (was offered a seat). As long as you have a well rounded application you will have stellar chances there.

@flotus i got into tufts & ohio with a 3.4 cumulative gpa and only like a 3.2 science or something like that, but a lot of experience to make up for it. can't speak to any others; i think i shared this info with you before on your old thread, but cornell gave me a tough time about Ws on my transcript back in 2017; things change. can't hurt to call and ask them. i also know tufts is actively looking to be more holistic, it's just very expensive. let me know if you have any questions about the program!

Reactions: 1 users
@flotus i got into tufts & ohio with a 3.4 cumulative gpa and only like a 3.2 science or something like that, but a lot of experience to make up for it. can't speak to any others; i think i shared this info with you before on your old thread, but cornell gave me a tough time about Ws on my transcript back in 2017; things change. can't hurt to call and ask them. i also know tufts is actively looking to be more holistic, it's just very expensive. let me know if you have any questions about the program!
We have similar stats! GPA wise. How much experience did you have if you don’t mind me asking, and what areas were they in?

We have similar stats! GPA wise. How much experience did you have if you don’t mind me asking, and what areas were they in?
sure -- full disclosure i'm pretty non-traditional. i also don't want to derail this thread. but in short, i've been working in wildlife rehab directly with a wildlife vet for ten years now, so that was a really big one. and then like about 1-2 years of shelter med including exotics, some volunteering with ecology goats, a year of clin path, 6 months gp. my first career was/is in terrestrial and wildlife ecology; i'm still active in it and i think that helped.

if you want to chat more you are welcome to dm me! i'm happy to chat.

Reactions: 1 users