Which schools "should I apply" to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mindcurious

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
MCAT score 499

White male 23-26 years of age (ORM)

Located in South West USA, think Texas, Arizona, New Mexico
Majored in Social Sciences & Minored in BioChem

cGPA 3.79
sGPA 3.79

1 year of research (no pub)

300+ Hours of clinical volunteering + 100 hours of "other" volunteering
100+ Hours of shadowing

1 Year role as the president of a significant, but not academic university organization (think making changes to school, affecting several hundred students), and made the school headlines multiple times (not a huge deal, but I think some leadership + publicity is probably better than no student organization publicity or leadership)
Other than this I don't have a compelling story, I just love people and have found faith (insert deity here), and think my time would be best served as a physician for others.

Statistics say that 25% of applicants with my GPA and MCAT score get into a school (M.D., check AAMC tables for reference), however upon reviewing the MSAR I am having a difficult time finding many, or any schools at all, that have accepted below 500. The few schools that I did find claim to accept out of state but have only accept a small handful.

Yes my MCAT is no bueno, and yes I will consider retaking if I don't get in, but isn't it worth a shot to apply this cycle anyway?

School list, please?
None with that MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 users
MCAT score 499

White male 23-26 years of age (ORM)

Located in South West USA, think Texas, Arizona, New Mexico
Majored in Social Sciences & Minored in BioChem

cGPA 3.79
sGPA 3.79

1 year of research (no pub)

300+ Hours of clinical volunteering + 100 hours of "other" volunteering
100+ Hours of shadowing

1 Year role as the president of a significant, but not academic university organization (think making changes to school, affecting several hundred students), and made the school headlines multiple times (not a huge deal, but I think some leadership + publicity is probably better than no student organization publicity or leadership)
Other than this I don't have a compelling story, I just love people and have found faith (insert deity here), and think my time would be best served as a physician for others.

Statistics say that 25% of applicants with my GPA and MCAT score get into a school (M.D., check AAMC tables for reference), however upon reviewing the MSAR I am having a difficult time finding many, or any schools at all, that have accepted below 500. The few schools that I did find claim to accept out of state but have only accept a small handful.

Yes my MCAT is no bueno, and yes I will consider retaking if I don't get in, but isn't it worth a shot to apply this cycle anyway?

School list, please?

I'd advise holding off this cycle and prepping for a retake of the MCAT. Only take it when your practice scores show significant improvement.

Also, having residency in Texas vs Arizona/New Mexico are two completely different ball games when it comes to med schools.