Which schools should Texas residents apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cedgar737

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying this cycle and will be applying to all three Texas schools. My GPA is 3.9 and I will be studying for 7 weeks for the DAT in May/June, so I hope to have competive scores. However, I am worried because of the competition in Texas and wonder if I should apply to other schools. If I apply out of state, does anyone know which schools, in the south, would be beneficial to apply to?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I took a chance by applying to only three Texas schools. My gpa was the same... Depends on your DAT and personal statement. I got accepted to all 3 Texas schools

Just wondering, If you are a Texas resident:

Did you apply to other schools or just the 3 Texas schools? It does seem a little risky to only apply to Texas schools since there are so many applicants. If you applied to other schools and had success or failure, what do you suggest I do?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying this cycle and will be applying to all three Texas schools. My GPA is 3.9 and I will be studying for 7 weeks for the DAT in May/June, so I hope to have competive scores. However, I am worried because of the competition in Texas and wonder if I should apply to other schools. If I apply out of state, does anyone know which schools, in the south, would be beneficial to apply to?

Unfortunately, a vast majority of the schools in the south don't accept many, if not any, OOS students.

Some OOS friendlies in the area are Louisville, VCU, and Creighton.

Oklahoma, Iowa and Nebraska only have about 10-15 OOS seats, so depending on your DAT score, they might be worth a shot!

Personally, I would just stick with the 3 Texas, of course I don't know all your details. Like what is your DAT score and how much service, research and shadowing you have done.

If you are intent on other schools, I got a few interviews in California. It is more expensive but I could have gone there if Texas wouldn't have worked out.

Best of luck!

Houston, Baylor, and a few out of state schools that arent "state schools." There are some private schools in the south that do take lots of out of state, especially in AZ. You also have to consider if you only apply in Texas, if you would be ok waiting a year and re-applying if you do not get in, or if youd rather take a shot at a few out of state and be able to have some of them as an option if you get in. good luck :luck:

You GPA is great, you just need to make sure that you have a solid DAT. I only applied to the 3 Texas schools...interviewed at all 3, and was accepted at Houston and SA.

It seems to be a difficult call. I have already taken 5 years to get my BS degree because of changing majors. The idea of waiting another year isn't appealing. However, I would hate to spend money/time interviewing at OOS schools only to get accepted to a Texas school.
As for the rest of my application, I feel it will be strong. I have plenty of shadowing, volunteer work and my DAT should be fairly high, if all goes as planned. It seems to be risky to only apply to Texas schools. I would love to know what everyone did last year.

I wouldn't waste time and money applying out of state. I had a slightly lower GPA than you and studied three weeks for the DAT and got in all 3 in the first round with scholarship offers from two of the three.

I would just focus on the DAT, making the most out of every section, and your likelihood of getting in will be over 90%.

The DAT is not a hard exam when you compare it to things like the NBDE part 1 that you'll take in dental school. I often wonder how much higher I would have scored on it after really learning how to memorize tons of crap in the first two years of dental school.

Your DAT is the deciding factor and you never know, i think you should always have a backup plan for the worst case scenario. I have came across plenty of pre-dent students who are confident that they'll get a high DAT like you but never did. Don't be 100% sure about anything

Just wondering, If you are a Texas resident:

Did you apply to other schools or just the 3 Texas schools? It does seem a little risky to only apply to Texas schools since there are so many applicants. If you applied to other schools and had success or failure, what do you suggest I do?

Nope only Texas schools and yes I am a Texas resident

Thanks for all the replies! I have decided to apply to the three Texas schools and, if I don't feel confident about my DAT scores, I will apply to some of the ones mentioned here. Hopefully, my scores are good. I really don't want to add more stress to this year!

I applied to just Texas schools last cycle with a 3.7 gpa and 20AA/21TS/19PAT..I'm a science major so I have loads of upper level bio...I didn't get a single interview. Just to be on the safe side, I'd apply to a couple out of state schools.