Which schools teach Invisalign during dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slash

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious if it's common for Invisalign to be taught during a dental school curriculum. I recently read that UT San Antonio offers this to it's D3's as an elective. Is this common for other dental schools as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Slash said:
I'm curious if it's common for Invisalign to be taught during a dental school curriculum. I recently read that UT San Antonio offers this to it's D3's as an elective. Is this common for other dental schools as well?

I don't know how common it is. Certification is part of our curriculum at HSDM.

Most schools will only teach the very basic "what you need to know to get by" type things. Things that are traditional and time tested. I know Invisiline have been around for a while but I think most schools will leave that up to you to learn on your own through CE. At least that's how it is here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Slash said:

Certification is part of NYU's curriculum

I wish we were certified at AZ. I don't know why more schools don't have it as part of their curriculum. From a monetary standpoint (which is how schools operate), clinics could make a killing off it. The chair time is minimal!

What about Maryland? Anyone know?

UF gets invisalign certification D3... if you want it. :rolleyes:

I don't think we are taught Invisalign. I am not sure if it is political because we have an ortho grad program here... there is always CE.

What about Penn?

temple certifies you in invisalign

Slash- thanks for the post. I didn't even think of invisalign. Don't know that much about it, but dentists say it is going to be a big part of their future business.

HUGE PLUS FOR SAN ANTONIO!

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to San Antonio and I took in the free Invisalign course. ( you have to take a preclinical ortho elective to particiapate in the Invisalign course) It is a bonus, but i would not let a free invisalign course influence my decision on which school to pick. It is just another expensive CE course.

columbia started w/ the class of 05... so Yup!

So you mean Columbia is teaching invisalign?

Dental students can participate in Invisalign courses for free if there are open spots at the courses. Open spots means there are no paying dentists filling those seats. The cost to a dentist is about $1,500. Obviously if you want to take the class in Beverly Hills or San Diego you're probably not going to get a spot because there are plenty of dentists who want to take the course when it comes to town. However, if you're willing to drive to someplace like Fresno or Riverside you might have a better chance. You can find the information on their website. I used the email on the website and got a brochure of all the dates and locations of the classes. They take 1 weekend.

i know this sounds stupid but whats ce?

drhobie7 said:
Dental students can participate in Invisalign courses for free if there are open spots at the courses. Open spots means there are no paying dentists filling those seats. The cost to a dentist is about $1,500. Obviously if you want to take the class in Beverly Hills or San Diego you're probably not going to get a spot because there are plenty of dentists who want to take the course when it comes to town. However, if you're willing to drive to someplace like Fresno or Riverside you might have a better chance. You can find the information on their website. I used the email on the website and got a brochure of all the dates and locations of the classes. They take 1 weekend.

Hey,
Where did you find this on their website? I'd be interested in finding a free class when I'm a D3 or D4, since as far as i know my school does not offer certification. Are there requirements as far as what classes you have to have taken in school before you can sign up?

Doogie Howser said:
i know this sounds stupid but whats ce?
CE=Continuing Education

NYUCD has integrated Invisalign curriculum into their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years. Students become certified in Invisalign for anteriors at no extra cost. Also if you find a patient in the clinic wanting Invisalign you can do that case.

Biogirl361 said:
Hey,
Where did you find this on their website? I'd be interested in finding a free class when I'm a D3 or D4, since as far as i know my school does not offer certification. Are there requirements as far as what classes you have to have taken in school before you can sign up?

here's the link:
http://www.invisalign.com/generalapp/us/en/doctor/getCert.jsp

Remember, while you're a student classes are free. Once you graduate they're around $1,500. You can only attend a class if it is not filled with paying dentists. This means if you live where there are a lot of dentists you will probably have to drive to another city to take the class. When I called they didn't mention anything about prerequisites. Obviously you're not going to take it when you're a 1st year. That would be stupid. Take it 3rd or 4th year. If your school is accredited by the ADA I'm sure you'll have met any prereqs by then. OK, now call the 1-800 number.