Which schools to apply to? (Last years applicants)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheGreatHunt

High Performance
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Getting to be about that time...

How did you all figure out which schools to apply to? I'm specifically in the Midwest.

I know that some Chicago schools only accept around 10 people from Wisconsin, and I'm just wondering what kinds of schools would give me the best chance to get into?

Members don't see this ad.

Getting to be about that time...

How did you all figure out which schools to apply to? I'm specifically in the Midwest.

I know that some Chicago schools only accept around 10 people from Wisconsin, and I'm just wondering what kinds of schools would give me the best chance to get into?

I choose schools near places where I want to settle down.

Talk to your school's premed advising office. At my school they keep records of where everyone applied and got in. There are definately some general trends of which schools like to take students from my region. When I applied, I compiled a list based on that data and it worked out really well. If your school does not compile that data, just talk to people who applied last cycle and see where the majority got interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
check out the new msar that's coming out soon (don't necessarily buy it). also refer to usnews because they give you stats on matriculated (rather than accepted, like msar gives) students, which is more useful i think. most of the schools you apply to should have average gpa/mcat that's within a couple points of your own (unless something else about your app stands out in a good or bad way). toss in a few "reach" schools and a couple "safeties", in terms of average numbers. if your app is great or you come from a poor family, then do your homework and find out which schools are most likely to offer you good financial aid because of this.

THE #1 RULE IS TO THINK AHEAD AND *ONLY* APPLY TO SCHOOLS THAT YOU WOULD ACTUALLY ATTEND IF IT WERE THE ONLY ACCEPTANCE YOU RECEIVED!!!

you do not want to be in the same position as some other sdn-ers, who would rather re-apply than take the one acceptance they've gotten. declining an acceptance to reapply looks really bad. so think about this one ahead of time.

unless your stats aren't great, you should apply to fewer than 15 schools. just apply smart.

unless your stats aren't great, you should apply to fewer than 15 schools. just apply smart.

I would up this to 20, even if you have great numbers. I would second the advice to apply only to places that you would attend. A corrolary to that is to only apply to regions where you want to live. If you would hate living in the south, don't apply to MCG. Go ahead and buy the MSAR, that way you don't pester everyone with questions like "what's the average MCAT at school X?".