Which schools to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted567285

I have begun some research on potential MD schools. I want to submit as soon as possible, i.e. June 1st

I know of only MD school as of right now and was wondering of any local MD schools to apply to.
Right now I am 100% applying to OU-COM in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. This is the same med school as my current undergrad university and would love to go here. But I want to know any other options around the Oklahoma area, I cant find many on SDN.

Here are some stats:

State of residence - Oklahoma

Cumulative GPA - 4.00
Science GPA - 4.00

MCAT Scores - I took the monster April 2015 exam. My scores don't come out until June 17th, yet I have percentiles.

BIO: 85-100%
CARS: 47-62%
CHEM: 85-100%
SOC: 39-54%

TOTAL = 73%-83% (about a 29-31)

Research – In process of publishing paper/ it has been submitted; research in two biology labs and have presented talks on my research at two conferences

Volunteering – by time I apply I will have about 300 hours volunteering in various projects. I have done about 200 at various hospitals. and about 100 at a local low cost clinic.

Physician shadowing – By time I apply I will have ~100 hrs of dedicated shadowing.
I already have a great MD letter that has been added to my application. along with my committee interview

Extracurricular activities - I have done various campus projects, such as science outreach to local K-12 schools and held a president position at a student club on campus.

Employment history - I have worked at JCPenny and also worked as a research assistant in a lab for over a year.

These are just some stats, I want to apply broadly and to schools that look favorable to out of stats. Any advice would be amazing!

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting. How reliable is this system?
Wedgedawg just posted it a few weeks back so it hasn't really been tested...but its still interesting to talk about I think.
Best takeaway from it is creating a school list thats balanced and adjusted for how strong an applicant you are.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wedgedawg just posted it a few weeks back so it hasn't really been tested...but its still interesting to talk about I think.
Best takeaway from it is creating a school list thats balanced and adjusted for how strong an applicant you are.

Ill fill it out tonight and let you guys know!

How'd you get this far with a 4.0 and can't look up what schools you want to attend? Cmon man!

Reactions: 2 users
Sounds to me like you will have a very good shot at OU. Add some mid and low tier private/OOS-friendly public schools to round out your app and you'll be all set. Get the online MSAR and do some research based on schools you like and places you would like to live. However, I think a good starter list might be:
Oklahoma +
Temple, Jefferson, Drexel, BU, Georgetown, GW, Miami, Tulane, Wake Forest, VCU, SLU, Creighton, Loyola, Rush, MCW
Possible higher reaches to add: Emory, Pitt, USC, Case Western, Ohio State

Reactions: 1 users
So I used that worksheet and I got an applicant rating of a B and 75%

It has stated that I apply to:

Stony Brook, Vermont, Rush, SLU, VCU, Creighton, EVMS, NYMC, Albany, Commonwealth, Florida IU, Loyola/Stritch, RFU, SUNY Downst, VA Tech, Loma Linda, Quinnipiac, Oakland, Western MI, Cooper, Hofstra, MC Wisconsin

And lower school as:
BU, Brown, Georgetown, Temple, Jefferson, GWU, Drexel, Penn State, Tufts, Tulane

I think these include most, if not all of the ones @JPA178 mentioned.

I wanted to mention, I have the FAP award. Thus, I can apply to 15 schools for free and most likely 15 school maximum.

Right now I have
1) Oklahoma
2) Baylor (Dream School)

Can somebody help me slim these choices down, most to those schools who look favorable to Oklahoma or out of state residents.
Thanks for all the help guys!!!!!

Your numbers are solid, 4.0/31-equivalent should carry you pretty far. I disagree with some of the recommendations on that list for a few reasons.

My thoughts on the WD-sheet's recommended schools -
Stony Brook, SUNY Downstate and Western MI take pretty poor OOS percentages. Downstate can be okay for OOS but I generally only recommend it if you have ties to NYC. So drop those 3.
Brown takes mostly non-trads and its own undergrads, so drop Brown.
UVM takes good percentage of OOS but it's a very different school and environment from where you're from, OK/Mid-SW region. Might not be worth it.
Loma Linda is owned/operated by the Seventh Day Adventist Church. To attend you must sign an honor code that states you will not drink a drop of alcohol the entire time you are enrolled; they also have mandatory Christian services every week. Do not apply there unless you are very religious or are at least 100% comfortable with the school's restrictions.
I think you can aim higher than NYMC, Commonwealth, Quinnipiac, VA Tech, and FIU - especially since you're working with 15 schools only.

Think about the cities you'd like to spend 4 years and the schools themselves when picking from the rest of the schools mentioned. All of the ones we're discussing are OOS friendly. If you have any school specific questions about what they're looking for or the general feel of any schools/reputations, let me know.

My recommendation for your 15 schools would look something like this:
Oklahoma, Baylor, Rush, SLU, BU, Georgetown, Temple, Jefferson, Creighton, Tulane, GW, Wake Forest, Ohio State, Miami, VCU

Tiered Groupings:
State school: Oklahoma
High Tier: Baylor, BU, Ohio State
Mid Tier: Georgetown, Temple, Jefferson, Wake Forest, GW, Miami, Rush
Low Tier: VCU, Creighton, Tulane, SLU

If you swap some of these out, keep your split about the same (3 high tier, 5-7 mid tier, 4-5 low tier).

I'd personally scrap BU, Georgetown and GW... too many apps received. Unless you're dying to go there I feel like it'd be easy to be a drop in the ocean of apps. Just my opinion.
You could consider Indiana and a couple of the Florida schools. As long as you keep a good split, I'd think you have a good chance of getting accepted amigo.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd personally scrap BU, Georgetown and GW... too many apps received. Unless you're dying to go there I feel like it'd be easy to be a drop in the ocean of apps. Just my opinion.
You could consider Indiana and a couple of the Florida schools. As long as you keep a good split, I'd think you have a good chance of getting accepted amigo.

Yeah, those schools do get a lot of apps, but you never know. It might be wise for OP to keep one or two.

I had similar stats, a little lower GPA and Indiana rejected me pre-secondary. Plus there's the possibility of being sent to other campuses around the state like Fort Wayne, Terra Haute, etc. Good school but personally I think being anywhere other than Indianapolis would be hell on earth.

I wonder if there's a FAP-equivalent for the TMDSAS? Being from Oklahoma, it might be worth it for OP to try since most do take up to 10% OOS every year.

I was just about to say this.. Don't apply to BU GT or GW. They get like 12k+ apps each year. The only reason anyone should apply to these schools IMO is if they have a compelling reason other than stat competitiveness.

Also, no offence to @JPA178 but he may be overestimating your competitiveness. He seems to have taken your 29-31 MCAT range to mean 31, when it could actually be a 29.. A big difference. I would apply as if you will end up on the lower side.

I would apply low tier MD heavy (as suggested by the wedge system), add 2-3 mid tiers that you think you fit well (but not the three I mentioned above), and of course your state school and your dream school.

Wow THANK YOU guys for all the help!!!

Okay so I have narrowed it down to..

State: Oklahoma
High Tier: Baylor, BU, Ohio State, Einstein, Wake Forest

Mid Tier: Vermont, Rush, SLU, VCU, Creighton, EVMS, NYMC, Albany, Commonwealth, Florida IU, Loyola/Stritch, RFU, VA Tech, Quinnipiac, Oakland, Cooper
Hofstra, and MC Wisconsin

Low Tier:
Georgetown, Temple, Jefferson, GWU, Drexel, Penn State, Tufts, Tulane

So this is 31 schools and I am looking to apply to 15, so this is a great starting point. I had nothing a few hours ago.

I will begin to research and look at these school and trim my list down. I want to get accepted in the first year and not sit out, so is I don't mind applying to lower tier schools. From this list is there any I should take out right away, @ski89 has stated to remove BU, GT and GW.
Also is there any schools I should add to this list before I start to trim it.

I am open to applying to more than 15 schools, but I think ill just be drowning in secondariness.

@JPA178 has stated TMDSAS schools, I don't mind paying the money, but my advisor has told me unless you are from Texas or don't have a 40 on the MCAT don't waste time and money applying to Texas schools.

Here's a list to consider.

Baylor
OK
Creighton
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
medical college Wisconsin
Albany
Quinnipiac
Oakland
Temple
Jefferson
Tulane
NY medical college

That leaves two to make 15.. Are there any others that are not on this list that seem like a good fit for you?

Edit: yes Wake and OSU are good additions too I think

Members don't see this ad :)

Mid Tier: Vermont, Rush, SLU, VCU, Creighton, EVMS, NYMC, Albany, Commonwealth, Florida IU, Loyola/Stritch, RFU, VA Tech, Quinnipiac, Oakland, Cooper

Low Tier:

So this is 31 schools and I am looking to apply to 15, so this is a great starting point. I had nothing a few hours ago.

I will begin to research and look at these school and trim my list down. I want to get accepted in the first year and not sit out, so is I don't mind applying to lower tier schools. From this list is there any I should take out right away, @ski89 has stated to remove BU, GT and GW.

I am open to applying to more than 15 schools, but I think ill just be drowning in secondariness.

@JPA178 has stated TMDSAS schools, I don't mind paying the money, but my advisor has told me unless you are from Texas or don't have a 40 on the MCAT don't waste time and money applying to Texas schools.

Thats a good list to narrow from. Here are a few things you should consider when making your final list.

1. Make sure that you are ok living in each of these locations. This is obvious but important to consider.
2. Your GPA is fantastic. Look for schools on this list that tend to emphasize GPA over MCAT. Creighton is one of these for example (their GPA average is much higher than their MCAT average).. MSAR will be your best resource to determine this.
3. Look for overall fit. This is based on the whole of your application. Does your application read like someone equipped to take on a primary care role (note that this does not mean you definitely see yourself as a future PCP). If so, look for schools that emphasize mission of producing primary care physicians (this would be found in their mission or vision statement -- Quinnipiac is an example of this). Conversely, do you have a very strong research background and do you emphasize your interest in research and being a leader in your future field? If so then you can add a few more places like Jeff and Tufts.

Baylor doesn't need the donation in the form of your app fees. Take your parents out to dinner instead. Drop Ohio State as wel; state schools favor the home team, and one has to be > avg for them.

Low Tier:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 1.31.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 1.31.16 AM.png
    116.6 KB · Views: 71
Hey guys I have finalized my school list. what do you guys think with my stats?
That looks like a solid list for you. A good mix of DO, safe MDs, and reaches.

I would suggest adding Quinnipiac (Frank Netter SOM) for a few reasons that may or may not resonate with you (and I will state my bias as it is the school I will matriculate to if I don't get into my state school off the waitlist). First off Netter is located in one of the better locations amongst lower tier MDs (Hamden, CT an 1.5 hour train ride into NYC). It is also located 10 min from Yale. If interested in research there are not only opportunities through Netter, but I have been told that it will be more than possible to seek research opportunities through yale. Lastly, the Netter faculty is committed to teaching over research. They are highly committed to the success of their students in the preclinical years. Oh and also they end their 3rd year 6 weeks early allowing for students to take an extra elective rotation.

Nevertheless, if Netter doesn't interest you, I still think you have a solid list! Good luck!

Looks like a great list. My only suggestion would be to swap out FIU and Rosalind Franklin with VCU and Drexel for a couple of reasons.

VCU over FIU: VCU has similar stats to FIU but has a very strong reputation and is a much older, more established school. Plus, while both interview 7% of OOS applicants, FIU takes 18% of their class from OOS whereas VCU takes 48% of their class from OOS. If being in Miami is a draw, I would recommend adding University of Miami to your list as a possible reach school alongside VCU.

Drexel over RFU-CMS: Drexel has similar stats to Rosy Franklin, but Drexel has its own affiliated hospitals (very strong) and a good location. Rosy Franklin is not in Chicago but is actually in the suburbs and closer to Wisconsin, and since it doesn't have its own hospital, you end up having to drive all over Chicagoland during years 3 and 4. For that reason I think Drexel is a better choice when you are trying to limit your number of schools. Penn State is another possible school to add instead of RFU-CMS if you would like to be somewhere closer to a more rural population. But if you're OK with the RFU-CMS logistics situation, then by all means keep it on.

Thank you to all you guys.

I will make the changes.
How many schools is generally a good choice, I have about 20-25 and I just keep hearing those secondary fees and essays.

Thank you to all you guys.

I will make the changes.
How many schools is generally a good choice, I have about 20-25 and I just keep hearing those secondary fees and essays.

25 schools is ok, if.. 1. You can afford it. And 2. You pre-write most of your secondaries based on last year's prompts (knowing that a few of them will change and you will have to write new ones)

Otherwise you will be buried in essays and they will either be subpar or you will just have to drop some schools.

@Goro @ski89 @JPA178 @DrHart @Shinobiz11 @Transistor

Final advice guys, I have completely finished both my AACOMAS and AMCAS application
This is my final list, anything major I should change... ALSO, so I think about applying using the TMDSAS, do I have any chance getting in, its basically just copy and paste, but is wort it??

Thank you all for your help!!! Attached is my list.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 11.05.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 11.05.13 PM.png
    90 KB · Views: 37
Did you check all the schools you're applying to and make sure you meet all of their requirements? Like if they require a year of math/biochem/etc. Some schools have obnoxious requirements like that. Also I'm not sure what you consider safety schools, but you would have a solid shot at OK State's DO school (you're rival yes) and other DO schools. You seem to have everything else in order. If you don't mind going DO, going "osteopathic College Information Booklet" and research that, it's a free version of MSAR for DO schools.

Still applying to Baylor? That's money pissed away, unless you can pull over a 95th%ile on the MCAT. If you want a reach, try BU, Einstein USC or Hofstra.

@Goro @ski89 @JPA178 @DrHart @Shinobiz11 @Transistor

Final advice guys, I have completely finished both my AACOMAS and AMCAS application
This is my final list, anything major I should change... ALSO, so I think about applying using the TMDSAS, do I have any chance getting in, its basically just copy and paste, but is wort it??

Thank you all for your help!!! Attached is my list.

Still applying to Baylor? That's money pissed away, unless you can pull over a 95th%ile on the MCAT. If you want a reach, try BU, Einstein USC or Hofstra.

Sorry forgot to remove Baylor.

I'll try BU!