which schools to re-apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loljoelle

joellemnop
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:)

Members don't see this ad.

You should not apply to schools whose average stats are far beyond your own, which will be most allopathic schools. Have you considered DO schools?

Also, any school you reapply to will want to know what you've done to improve your application. You might consider waiting a year to reapply, so you have a good answer to that question, namely 1) a year of research, and 2) more medical volunteerism on a prolonged, weekly basis. (I'm assuming the trip to Mexico was a short-term opportunity. Correct me if that is wrong.)

You have already demonstrated good leadership. Retaking the MCAT (after a prep course, if you didn't already take one) is a good idea, but your low "fixed" GPA really decreases the number of schools that will take a serious look at you, as it's below most automatic cutoffs.

Why is your GPA fixed? If I were you, I would just take some classes (undergrad again) to try to boost that up. Anything! And I agree - get that MCAT up! I wouldn't apply this year yet. I would plan on spending this year improving your app again, and I would also plan on hitting submit on June 5 when AMCAS opens. The earlier you apply, the better your chances.

the mcat can always be changed, gpa can't unless you continue your education, so I would focus on maybe a postbacc or graduate program. that way you can boost your gpa, get some more research, and in the mean time focus on the mcat as well. You'd be a much stronger applicant. The clinical experience and volunteer work can always be incorporated as well. Shoot for next year is what I would say.