which schools to send secondaries to, please help

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by mazya, Sep 14, 1999.

1. mazya

mazya Member

Ok, here's the deal: I applied to all 19 DO schools since I did not know a whole lot about them at the time to screen for them in the primaries. Well, now I am getting bombarded with secondaries and I still don't know a whole lot about each school to decide one way or another. My sole selection criteria at this point is location. I know that for example I do not wanna live in Iowa or KC or kentuky. But at the same time, I don't know if I am missing on some big time schools since they might be located in these parts. Additionally, I heard that there are 5 DO schools that once enrolled in, you have to stay in the state for 5 years and practice. Does anyone have any knowledge of that? I would greatly appreaciate any feedback any of you has. Thank you.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. wanttobeadoctor

wanttobeadoctor Junior Member

mazya:well, I think you should apply to all the schools that give equal opportunities to students from all states and if you have to leave out some, leave the ones that give preference to in-state, unless ofcourse if you are in that state! I think Ohio is one place where you have to practice for a period of time if you go there...don't know about other schools.

Good Luck

4. Tej

Tej Member

TUCOM, NYCOM, WVCOM, NSUCOM are four I can think of off the top of my head that are state schools. NYCOM also doesn't send secondaries, you fill it out while you're waiting to interview.

Hope this is helpful.

5. Linda

Linda Member

Mazya,

UMDNJ is also a state school, on top of that they have a small class, ~75 students.

Pikesville gives preference to residents of the appalchian area - they want people who will stay in this relatively underserved area.

PCOM does not admit to a state preference but many of my classmates were from PA. I am a NJ resident and was accepted. Our class size is very large (~250) and overall we have people from many states.

West Virginia - state preference, I think

Ohio is the school that requires you to sign a contract that you'll stay in state for a number of years.

That's all I can think of right now.
    Good luck,
    Linda

6. SD

SD Senior Member

Mazya - what state/region are you from?

7. 8404

8404 Senior Member

TUCOM (in california) admits almost half its class from out of state applicants. Dont waste your time with schools that give an in-state preference. Unless you have an exceptional record, you will not be at the top of their list.

8404 (TUCOM 2003)

8. mazya

mazya Member

Thank you all for replying to my message. They are all very helpful. I am from California and I graduated from UCI. I am interested in doing research and perhaps a subspecialty in Nephrology or cardiology. I have talked to people and the general consensus I get is that DO might not be the right degree to pursue for my future goals. I, however disagree after seeing all the DO's who are doing residencies in various specialty fields. In your opinion, what would be the top 5 DO schools in term of residency match (for specialties), research and teaching facilities. Thank you so much again

[This message has been edited by mazya (edited September 15, 1999).]

9. miglo

miglo Senior Member

TUCOM is a private institution so there is NO preference for in-state students. Although last year's stats were 60% (CA) and 40% out-of-state.

If you plan to go into research, I don't recommend a DO degree. From what I have seen and read, most DO schools are not too big on research. Although I hope that this will change in the future.

Mig

10. Paul's Boutique

Western University / COMP (Pomona, CA; near Los Angeles): private; no (overt) preferences/discriminating regarding home state (i.e. they don't state that they'll only accept applicants from CA).

------------------
    -PB (Western Univ./COMP '04)

"Never give in, never give in,
    never, never, never, never..."

-Sir Winston Churchill, 1944

11. DocGibby

DocGibby Senior Member

Mayza,

You might also want to consider just how far your willing to travel for schooling. I'm a michigan resident. This was a big issue for me. I think the furthest school I applied to was Nova. It's costing me at least 200 dollars round trip just for an interview. Not to mention flying home for holidays should I be accepted. Many of the schools I applied to also have residencies here in michigan which is helpful. I already plan to be at least $100,000 in the hole before my education is all over. I'm trying to save where I can. It cost my buddy over $1000 round trip to arizona last year for an interview. In anycase try to narrow things down to where you really want to go. If your only appling because of the ole saying don't put all your eggs in one basket, then your gonna look kind of silly in the interview when they ask you why you want to go to their school. If money is no object and you would be happy at any of the schools, I say apply to all 19. Except W.Virginia, you really do have to be from the appalacia region to get in. If your grades and everything else are up to par than you have at least a fighting chance everywhere else.

As for research, the primary goal of "all" osteopathic schools is to produce primary care physicians (ie family doctors) to serve underserved areas within their states. Note the quotes around all, there is always an exception. Many of the Schools do highlight research in the pamplet, but it is not their primary focus. Of course many MD schools say the same thing. So it really comes down to whether or not you subscribe to Osteopathy or Allopathy. You can pursue your dream in either field.

DocGibby

12. milleniumhc

milleniumhc Member

I just wanted to let you know.....I am not so sure that I would pursue a license as an Osteopathic physician if you are planning on going into research. I work at an Osteopathic hospital and I shadow one of the attending physicians there. I asked him about research and he told me that it just wasn't emphasized in school (he went to Michigan State). You will not learn the needed skills to become a good research physician/scientist is what his reply was. Due to their emphasis on family practice, often in rural areas, you will not be taught research..... Although, I think that it would be interesting to become a researcher of holistic practice.....if you wanted to go that route. That might be feasible with a DO degree. In the end it is completely your choice. There are always "firsts". Good luck in your decision.
    MHC

13. Allison

Allison Junior Member

Hey, just to let you know, OSU-COM is very small and selects almost completely in-state.
    Also, I agree with all the previous postings about research with a DO degree. But best of luck with everything!

14. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor

Resident [Any Field]
    NYCOM is not a state school. It's actually a private institution (part of the New York Institute of Technology, a private school) that has something of a preference for New Yorkers, although they consider people from all over.

Tim of New York City.