which schools weight grad GPA's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biophysicbadass

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I can't find a thread on this, I'm sure there is one so someone feel free to provide the link. Anyways, anyone know any schools that heavily weight grad GPA? As well as the ones that don't give it a second thought? It would help me narrow down my app list. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt you'll find this list- i don't think most people know which schools weigh grad vs. ugrad more or less. And i don't think the schools would divuldge that info anyway. --Trek

i agree with trek. hard to know, and there might not even be an admissions policy on it necessarily. it might depend on who read your app and how generous they were feeling.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools really don't give a **** about grad gpa. Grad school is not a requirement for med school admissions, so it is evaluated as just an extra credential. If someone did very poorly in undergrad, then adcoms might pay a bit more attention to the person's grad record. However there is intense grade inflation in several graduate programs across the country, and this essentially renders grad gpa useless as a selection criterion. Ugpa and MCAT scores on the other hand are entered into the machine.

Whoa, not all grad. schools are created equal and at least some med schools know this. In Oregon the grad school students take some of the same classes WITH the undergrad students and compete for grades under the same system with the undergrads. The only difference is most of these classes also require additional projects/homwork etc. for the grad students. Talk to the med schools you are interested in and see what their policy is concerning grad school gpa's. While I'm not sure exactly how the grad gpa is weighted, when I inquired of O.H.S.U. what additional things I needed as a post bacc student, I was told that I needed to show that I could still handle university course work. They didn't care if that was as undergrad or grad. credit. I chose to go grad. Best advice is to CALL the med schools you are interested in and ASK.