Which schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fawkes94

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your ECs aren't bad at all and your numbers are solid. You can pretty much apply anywhere you want, just make sure you have a good mix of schools (i.e. Don't apply exclusively to top 20s). Over your gap year I would recommend getting more clinical experience in (such as volunteering), continuing with research, or both.

Of you list, I recommend the following. You must get those clinical volunteering hours > 100, > 200 would make you far more competitive for the top schools on the list.

1. Florida Atlantic University
2. Florida International University
3. University of South Florida
4. Florida State University
5. University of Florida
6. University of Central Florida
7. University of Miami
8. Albany Medical College
9. Albert Einstein
10. Boston University
11. Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University
12. Drexel
13. George Washington University
14. Hofstra North Shore
16. Temple University
17. Loyola University
18. Northwestern University OR University of Pittsburgh
24. Wake Forest
26. Rochester,
27. Saint Louis,
30. Emory

Add Tulane and Jefferson

Members don't see this ad :)
Of you list, I recommend the following. You must get those clinical volunteering hours > 100, > 200 would make you far more competitive for the top schools on the list.

If you don't mind me asking, why these schools specifically?

I'll be honest, I wouldn't apply to all those low-yield OOS programs when your numbers are so good for Florida schools. Here's my reasoning:

1) 31 secondaries is a huge amount and you won't be able to answer the "Why X School of Medicine" as effectively for all of them. The amount of work will make you slightly weaker at every school as you struggle to answer all of them well. One thing I didn't realize going into this process is that those essays are very important for getting a II at those schools since they have so many 3.7 applicants to choose from. The people getting the IIs at NYMC are the ones who write a compelling "Why NYMC" essay. They don't just randomly draw 1000 applicants out of their pool of 4000 3.7 GPA cookie cutter applicants.

2) It will be very hard to justify the private tuition at a low-tier OOS relative to the tuition at a state school.

3) The money you will save on the apps is not a trivial sum (or at least it wasn't for me)

I would apply to all the Florida schools and maybe 5-8 out-of-state schools that REALLY interest you: the ones that you would love to be a part of and that interest will be readily apparent on the secondary.

Also, get those clinical volunteering hours up and start thinking about LORs/personal statements.

Last edited: