Which schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iPremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!

Which schools would accept a person with 1 C (Physics 1), 1 C+ (Physics 2), 1 C+ (Orgo 1), 1 B- (Chem 2), 1 B- (Calc 2) up until the end of 1st semester sophomore year if they have a drastic turn around and get 3.75+ GPA every semester after that up til the end of junior year when applying? (assume 30+ MCAT and adequate extracurriculars).

Do I have a chance applying traditionally? or would I have to make it up with a masters or something like that? Is it too early to think about that? (I'm a second semester sophomore right now). Should I take the Physics and orgo 1 over again to show improvement? Since these were relatively early on, do I still have a chance as a traditional applicant? I am trying really hard to do well from now on but I just want to know if it is even possible.

Are 3 semesters of 3.75+ in recent coursework enough?

Could I get into state schools? (NY)

My GPA with all the bad grades is a 3.1 cum and 3.0 bcpm.

If I get 4.0's from now on i can get a ~3.5/3.4
I know it will be difficult to get straight A's...so I calculated with 3 B's and could get ~3.3/3.4...this is a bit low..

by getting my gpa up, could it compensate for the bad grades early on? i actually had a good 1st semester freshman gpa (3.61) and then my grades dipped...so I'm kinda worried about the dip..

I prefer MD but am not totally opposed to the DO option. I definitely want to stay in the US.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!

Which schools would accept a person with 1 C (Physics 1), 1 C+ (Physics 2), 1 C+ (Orgo 1), 1 B- (Chem 2), 1 B- (Calc 2) up until the end of 1st semester sophomore year if they have a drastic turn around and get 3.75+ GPA every semester after that up til the end of junior year when applying? (assume 30+ MCAT and adequate extracurriculars).

Do I have a chance applying traditionally? or would I have to make it up with a masters or something like that? Is it too early to think about that? (I'm a second semester sophomore right now). Should I take the Physics and orgo 1 over again to show improvement? Since these were relatively early on, do I still have a chance as a traditional applicant? I am trying really hard to do well from now on but I just want to know if it is even possible.

Are 3 semesters of 3.75+ in recent coursework enough?

Could I get into state schools? (NY)

My GPA with all the bad grades is a 3.1 cum and 3.0 bcpm.

If I get 4.0's from now on i can get a ~3.5/3.4
I know it will be difficult to get straight A's...so I calculated with 3 B's and could get ~3.3/3.4...this is a bit low..

by getting my gpa up, could it compensate for the bad grades early on? i actually had a good 1st semester freshman gpa (3.61) and then my grades dipped...so I'm kinda worried about the dip..

I prefer MD but am not totally opposed to the DO option. I definitely want to stay in the US.

Thanks!

Hard to say without a total picture, but try this handy tabulating spreadsheet (MD-only) in concert with what you think you'll end up with: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527971

A GPA of 3.4 won't be good enough to get into an allopathic medical school if your MCAT is 30. However, osteopathic medical schools will consider you with those numbers.

Consider repeating those Physics classes and get As. If you don't repeat and get a good understanding of the material, you're less likely to do well on the MCAT. You won't need to repeat the Orgo I if you get a good grade in Orgo II. Consider taking smaller class loads so you can get better grades. Also consider applying after your fourth or fifth year of undergrad to give yourself more time to raise your GPA.

For the least competitive NY allopathic med schools the mean acceptee stats are GPA 3.6 and MCAT 31.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow... two posts in and no one's mentioned it yet? YAY I GET TO SAY IT THIS TIME :D!!! Caribbean or DO gogogo!!!!!

^
sarcasm

:( so it's not likely i'll make it even with the trend changes?

if you are able to increase your GPA and get a 30+ on the MCAT and get some decent EC's (volunteering, research, shadowing, etc.), you have a chance. it will be tough, but it's not impossible, so don't get discouraged just yet.

there are plenty of students who have gotten into the SUNY schools with sub-par stats. Just look at the last few posts in the stony brook secondary application thread as an example:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=7673714#post7673714

Just work hard, get good grades from now on, rock the MCAT and do some EC's and you'll be fine. Good luck.

Hey!

Thanks!

How big of you to throw the DO schools a bone, especially in light of your stats... IF you can orchestrate some amazing turnaround, do brilliantly in your last two years of college, and possibly do really well in an SMP as well, then you may have a chance at US allopathic schools. But, you really need to figure out why you've done so poorly thus far, and fix that problem -- otherwise your grades will not improve and you will not get into any medical school at all. Once you've done that, you can begin to get some meaningful feedback on what schools to apply to, but as long as your good grades and MCAT scores are purely hypothetical (and your ECs are unknown), I don't think anyone can give you a list of schools that would be appropriate to apply to.

there are plenty of students who have gotten into the SUNY schools with sub-par stats.
It's true that ~half of every class will get in with stats below the mean for a given school. They tend to be folks with moderating factors like interest in rural medicine, first one in the family to go to college, legacy status, member of a population underrepresented in medicine, very, very strong leadership or research experiences, or non-traditional status, to name some. OP, if any of these are true for you, let us know.

Virusgirl, sorry if I sounded disrespectful toward the DO degree. This definitely is not true. I respect them just as much but haven't had much exposure to it yet. I would prefer MD simply because I am not familiar with DO. I haven't met many DOs and haven't thought much about that path yet.

I was mainly just worried about my chances of getting into an US allopathic school provided I do well from now on. I was wondering whether retaking the physics (I took it over the summer the first time) would help my chances and such. I would really love to get in as a traditional applicant but realize I have dug myself into a deep hole. I just hope I can still make it. I am more determined than ever at this point.

Thanks for all of your comments!