which should i do? would love opinions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkzebra

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
would love advice/opinions!

i am looking into SMPs (special masters programs) in the boston area, tufts and BU specifically.

i graduated college in may 2010 with my BS in biotechnology and am currently a research assistant at a large local university. i am also beginning a MCAT prep course at the end of this month and am planning to take the MCAT in june. in addition to experience from this current position, i have 1.5 years of undergrad clinical and bench research experience.

i am debating whether or not i should attend one of these SMPs (if accepted, of course) instead of staying in my research position until hopeful matriculation to medical school (i am applying june of 2012, so that would mean staying for ~2.5ish years). i know i mentioned before that i would like to stay in MA, so i cant help but think that being part of one of these programs would be beneficial. they designate a certain # of spots each cycle for the masters applicants and grant automatic interviews to the top 25% of the class.

i really enjoy my research position, and of course my family and i could use the extra $. i just want to keep the "big picture" in mind and not base the decision solely on enjoying the additional income, if that makes sense.

i know that part of the decision should depend on my MCAT score as well as my GPAs. i currently have:

-3.47 science (which id like to bring up, hence this program)
-3.87 non-science
-3.67 overall

thank you! any feedback would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

I think your GPAs are too high to drop $50k/yr on BUMAMS or Tufts MBS.

In your shoes I'd:
1) keep working
2) take a class or two per term through Harvard Extension, hard undergrad science, get A's, get that science GPA over 3.5
3) put a ridiculous level of effort and dedication toward MCAT prep, and don't take the test until you're ready to kill it
4) ...but get your MCAT score before June of the year you apply, so you can apply early

Best of luck to you.

I think your GPAs are too high to drop $50k/yr on BUMAMS or Tufts MBS.

In your shoes I'd:
1) keep working
2) take a class or two per term through Harvard Extension, hard undergrad science, get A's, get that science GPA over 3.5
3) put a ridiculous level of effort and dedication toward MCAT prep, and don't take the test until you're ready to kill it
4) ...but get your MCAT score before June of the year you apply, so you can apply early

Best of luck to you.

funny you say that because that is EXACTLY my other plan. i am actually at the harvard stem cell institute in my research position - as a harvard employee, i can take extension school classes for $40/class. i was debating that because i have actually taken most of their undergrad science classes (the popular ones like biochem, etc. not the ones that are more specific to the extension school like 'science and writing,' for example). i will put a lot of effort into the MCAT - i agree that i do not want to take it until im ready. im applying in the 2012 cycle and planning to take the MCAT this coming june of 2011, so if all goes well, i can get that out of the way.

my reason for considering these programs is because of the strong ties to the schools and because of their high matriculation rates. i guess it's a thought, but i would like to continue working if possible. and you are correct...the $ sucks! so expensive.

Do not take a program unless you are trying to get into a very elite school. If you are, maybe it would help, maybe it wouldn't... however, if I had those stats, I would probably already be in ;)