Which SMP programs have a guaranteed admission to medical school, assuming you do well?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetamazement

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not a nontrad, I am a regular undergrad with a subpar gpa of 3.5 and averageish ecs. If I don't get into medical school on my first try I want to know what smps can i do that guarantee admission to their med school assuming I do well in the SMP.

Also, I am looking for smps that accept people from all backgrounds, since I am not a minority and my parents make 60-70k a year.

Also, I am looking for smps that guarantee ACCEPTANCE into their medical school (and it's fine if they require you to have a 3.8 gpa from the SMP, I just need a place that guarantees acceptance, whether it's to all SMP students who pass, or to the top 10 percent of the SMP students). I know that you might say if I do an SMP it is more likely I'll get into med school, but honestly my ecs are too average/below average so I can't really stand out. Which is why I need an SMP that guarantees acceptance to med school to certain people from its SMP class. Not just interview,but guaranteed acceptance.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty much just Temple, but understand that there's no actual guarantee ever anywhere.

See the postbac forum for info on SMPs from current/former students.

You can find solid linkage with DO programs, but you won't with MD. You need to understand that the supply of seats is considerably lower than the demand. They won't take a chance with you Without the caveat that they can jump ship at any time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your best best is the program at RFUMS. As long as you have >3.0, they take you into their MD program. It's the closest thing you will find to a 'sure thing.'

After researching SMDP's extensively, I have to agree with everyone's comments. There are no SMDP's that guarantee acceptance into medical school. Some postbac programs and SMDP's do have linkage agreements in place with medical schools. These linkage agreements stipulate that you have to earn a certain GPA by a certain date to "earn" an interview at their medical school; some do also require a minimum MCAT score. The numbers required vary from campus to campus.

One of the most impressive SMDP's that I interviewed for the book that accepted.com is going to be publishing on alternate paths to medical school was EVMS--96% of the students who complete their one year Master's Degree get into medical school! Students take classes at their medical school with their first year medical students. So on top of earning a Master's Degree, they are also earning credit towards their MD. Programs like theirs and many others will be featured in the book, with interviews from program directors across the country. It will be available in a month or two on their website as well amazon.com. I hope this information is helpful! There are SMDP's listed on the AAMC website in the postbac database, attached here.

After researching SMDP's extensively, I have to agree with everyone's comments. There are no SMDP's that guarantee acceptance into medical school. Some postbac programs and SMDP's do have linkage agreements in place with medical schools. These linkage agreements stipulate that you have to earn a certain GPA by a certain date to "earn" an interview at their medical school; some do also require a minimum MCAT score. The numbers required vary from campus to campus.

One of the most impressive SMDP's that I interviewed for the book that accepted.com is going to be publishing on alternate paths to medical school was EVMS--96% of the students who complete their one year Master's Degree get into medical school! Students take classes at their medical school with their first year medical students. So on top of earning a Master's Degree, they are also earning credit towards their MD. Programs like theirs and many others will be featured in the book, with interviews from program directors across the country. It will be available in a month or two on their website as well amazon.com. I hope this information is helpful! There are SMDP's listed on the AAMC website in the postbac database, attached here.
Everything here is wrong. Hope your mortgage payment isn't dependent on that book.

Reactions: 1 user
Everything here is wrong. Hope your mortgage payment isn't dependent on that book.

Very much agree with DrMidlife, I had a friend who went there, did well in the program ~3.6 GPA and still did not get into their medical school.

In fact on the EVMS website it says "No, we cannot promise that you will be accepted at our medical school. However, in the last five (5) years of the program, approximately 90 percent of all graduates are accepted into a medical school." I'm not sure where AliciaAccepted is getting her data.

http://www.evms.edu/education/masters_programs/medical_masters_program/faqs/

It doesn't matter whether EVMS had a 96% rate or not. It doesn't now.

Generally it's a good idea to google an acronym before you try to evangelize it.

Midwesterns one and two year programs guarantee an interview with a 3.0 GPA and MCAT within one standard deviation of the previous years admitted class

Very much agree with DrMidlife, I had a friend who went there, did well in the program ~3.6 GPA and still did not get into their medical school.

In fact on the EVMS website it says "No, we cannot promise that you will be accepted at our medical school. However, in the last five (5) years of the program, approximately 90 percent of all graduates are accepted into a medical school." I'm not sure where AliciaAccepted is getting her data.

http://www.evms.edu/education/masters_programs/medical_masters_program/faqs/

It also just says that 90% of their graduates are accepted into a medical school. They don't specify whether that means a US MD school or not.

OP - will you be applying to DO schools? With a 3.5 GPA you should have no problem getting into a DO program as long as your MCAT is competitive.

Just so we're clear on EVMS, since I did their med masters program and am now in their med school and can name and/or am FB friendsies with pretty much every graduate and their med school fate back to 2009...THERE IS NO RESULTS NUMBER that should be taken seriously.

The high percentages are from when the class size was 23.

The class size then went to 28, 40 and 66 and will continue to rise.

All this info is super easy to find in...wait for it...yes! THE POSTBAC FORUM!!! #exciting