Mar 27, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Obviously, I know any speciality is going to involve a lot of work and that's something we have to be prepared for, but, in general, what do you believe the ones with the best hours are?

P

psharma02

I believe unemployment offers a rather attractive vacation package

Squeal

Think for yourself
Feb 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Actually, I hear the queues in the unemployment lines are becoming quite long these days! 10% unemployment and all :p

I'm surprised no one has said ROAD?

P.S. A queue is a line. No need to be redundant.

Mar 27, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm surprised no one has said ROAD?

P.S. A queue is a line. No need to be redundant.
Thanks for the info! It's very appreciated! I'm aware that those two words are synonymous, I just forgot that I had already written queue and didn't reread before submitting. :)

Squeal

Think for yourself
Feb 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for the info! It's very appreciated! I'm aware that those two words are synonymous, I just forgot that I had already written queue and didn't reread before submitting. :)
No problem. My mom and her mom are english teachers, so sometimes I become the vocab Nazi.

auburnO5

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2008
Status
Medical Student
What exactly are the ROAD specialties again? I got derm and radiology

Mar 27, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Radiology, Oncology, Anesthesiology, Dermatology is what I took it as, but who knows.

Edit: ah, optha, thanks Caligirl :)

Nov 11, 2009
Colorado
Status
Medical Student
Some people also throw in emergency med and call it "E-ROAD" I believe.

Nov 11, 2009
Colorado
Status
Medical Student
I've heard this, also.

Just as ROADE (the E is silent :laugh:)

Haha I like that...It reminds me of how I want to name my kids someday! Just to throw people off...Like name them Tmark...but the T is silent and then it will be funny to listen to people pronounce it!

Ponger

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2005
Status
Medical Student
I think it's supposed to be a healthy pay/hours ratio.
This. And no call. The work is also somewhat less demanding than say surgery or interventional cardiology.

Plus with ophthalmology being a surgical specialty you can choose to do a lot of clinic, a lot of surgery or somewhere in betwee.

muhali3

7+ Year Member
May 6, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Anesthesiology and Radiology are lifestyle specialties but they do not offer good hours. They offer high pay and controllable hours but many can work close to 60 hours a week.

metallica81788

Keeper of the Llamaworm
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Haha I like that...It reminds me of how I want to name my kids someday! Just to throw people off...Like name them Tmark...but the T is silent and then it will be funny to listen to people pronounce it!
I've always wanted to do the same thing! Add some silent x or q in there, like Qbob.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand...

Yeah, I think it's hours/pay ratio - that's why people include EM in there because you don't necessarily have to work as many hours and you're never on call. Most places do 12 hr shifts and you can actually get away with working 3 days/week at some places.

bookfreak89

10+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2006
West Coast, USA
Status
Medical Student
Reminds me of Cat Williams: "My name is Bob. K-B-O-B. The K is silent." :laugh:

lord_jeebus

和魂洋才
15+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2003
GMT+9
Status
Attending Physician
Seriously, if you're that worried about hours you should sit down and ask yourself seriously why you're not applying to dental school.

If dentistry were a residency after medical school it would be pretty competitive. It's a good gig.

Mar 27, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Some physician hours are a lot lower than the hours of the field that I come from. Coming from business, it's not uncommon to work 80 hrs a week. Therefore, I'm not necessarily concerned with hours. I was merely speculating as to which fields are generally considered to be the best. As I said, I come from a business background, so even some of those hours listed there on the above photo seem 'good' to me.

In any case, I'm glad I posed this question as the above photo does give a great outline on correlations between hours worked, salary, and years in residency. It's pretty interesting.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Seriously, if you're that worried about hours you should sit down and ask yourself seriously why you're not applying to dental school.

If dentistry were a residency after medical school it would be pretty competitive. It's a good gig.
Because I already took the MCAT and not the DAT. :laugh:

I kid... ish

johncalvin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status

Dermatologists are often called "skin dentists," FWIW.

Oct 30, 2009
NY
Status
Pre-Medical
Anesthesiology and Radiology are lifestyle specialties but they do not offer good hours. They offer high pay and controllable hours but many can work close to 60 hours a week.

Great list! Most specialties are somewhat controllable once you're well-established, if you're not worried about making the average salary or better. I know some physicians who work part-time, which still ends up being close to 40 hours/week. My friend and her husband are both physicians, and they've worked out their schedules so that their young kids are never in daycare. They're also not making nearly as much as two physicians typically would make.

bannie22

Hero
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2009
Derm... or if u want even more $$$ Dermpatho

dukejen04

MS4
10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2004
Status
Medical Student
interesting article, even if it is a bit old. i kind of get annoyed when doctors are like "oh, med students aren't as devoted to the field these days."

as a woman, especially, i don't think it is a "lack of devotion" to not want to work 100 hours a week when you finish your insanely-long slavery-like debt-inducing training so you can actually spend some time with your family.

you have to jump through so many hoops to get to the point of being an attending, if you weren't devoted, you wouldn't make it. but does that mean that you have to spend the rest of your life living in the hospital, on call 5 nights a week, never seeing your own children or husbands/wives?

come on. i'm all for a certain degree of personal sacrifice, but it shouldn't have to be all or nothing. doctors are people too, and they deserve to have some semblance of a life.

slowbutsteady

slowbutsteady
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yes, you need to recalibrate your "pretentiousness meter," old chap.

Vvandenn

10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
So some people are generalizing that primary care specialties may experience increased pay with all these health care changes. Do you think that Psychiatry would be improved salary-wise as well? I may end up with over 300k in debt and getting paid 150k a year as a psychiatrist doesn't sound that great at the moment.