• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Which Speciality should i choose?....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdfirst

10+ Year Member
May 27, 2007
  1. Pre-Medical
Ok, im totally confused, but here goes...
I am a fairly smart person, who is rather inquisitive, and love problem solving, however, I am fairly lazy, and I get really bored with routine, mundane tasks. with that said, which specialty would you suggest?

SomeDoc

10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2007
  1. Attending Physician
I am a fairly smart person, who is rather inquisitive, and love problem solving, however, I am fairly lazy, and I get really bored with routine, mundane tasks. with that said, which specialty would you suggest?

I really hope your status isn't pre-med. (Way too early to be thinking about it).

SomeDoc

10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2007
  1. Attending Physician

This might be a problem with any specialty.

About the Ads

SomeDoc

10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2007
  1. Attending Physician
You'll get a good idea of what fits well for you during third and fourth year. That doesn't mean you can't have preferences prior to those years. The best thing to do is to do your best during preclinical years, on the boards, and during clinical years, (and participate in research) to maximize your options. So by the time you have to apply to residencies, if your preferences change as a function of experience, you'll still have the option of matching into the specialty you like.

peppy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2002
  1. Attending Physician
Yeah, just wait until you do your rotations. You'll see where you fit in then.
There may very possibly be a specialty where you don't mind the mundane aspects of the job and don't mind working hard because you like it.

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
  1. Medical Student
Go to these websites- its an array of questions that help you determine what specialty you are suited for in ranking order.

http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/RESIDENT/CareerCounseling/main_menu.htm

(no registration needed)

http://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/specialties/

(no registration needed)

and

AAMC's Careers in Medicine Page (You will need a code from your school for this, and register an account so ask your dean- it's probably the best career website out of the ones listed)

https://services.aamc.org/careersinmedicine/

howelljolly

10+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2007
  1. Resident [Any Field]
In 1st and 2nd year, individuals tend to gravitate toward anatomy/pathology vs. physiology/pharmacology.

In 3rd and 4th year, individuals tend to be "doers" vs. "thinkers". Those preferences lead people to choose surgical vs. medical specialties.

Some superhuman individuals want to be involved in the total care of the patient/pathology and choose a specialty that covers the medical and surgical management of the disease, such as ENT, urology, ob/gyn, or derm.

Some individuals dont like clinical medicine, and choose radiology, pathology, nuclear med.

Some individuals like to play with toys, and choose ENT, rad-onc, nuclear med, orthopedics.

Some individuals have a prior experience in a particular field and choose EM, pathology, oncology, A/I

What drives people to pick a specialty is different for each individual.

Check this out:
http://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/specialties/

About the Ads
Status
Not open for further replies.