Which Specialties are you considering, if any, at this point?

Haemulon

Slippery When Wet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2006
On SDN
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Which specialties have you all thought about pursuing? I know it is very early and that rotations will give us the info we need to make those decisions, but are there any areas attractive to you already? As for me, I am initially interested in Med. Gen., IM (maybe critical care, general practice, or endocrinology sub spec.), and Diagnostic Rad., but am very open to exploring other options as well.

CavalierMD

Secondary Stalker 4-Lyf!
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Status
Pre-Medical
Primary Care 4-lyf!

Probably peds :love: ... but there are certain things about family practice and general IM that are cool as well... I'll narrow it down later :thumbup:

johnny pollen

sleeping soundly
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2006
chicago, ill.
Status
Pre-Medical
Half of me is all het up about neurology or psychiatry (or both); the other half's interested in ID.

My boss is convinced I'll end up in Emerg. Med., though.

About the Ads
OP
Haemulon

Haemulon

Slippery When Wet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2006
On SDN
Status
Resident [Any Field]
CavalierMD said:
Primary Care 4-lyf!

Probably peds :love: ... but there are certain things about family practice and general IM that are cool as well... I'll narrow it down later :thumbup:
I like Peds as well, especially if I tie it in with Med. Gen. (there are a few double board residencies I think).

ADeadLois

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2005
Status
Medical Student
I'm also looking at pediatrics (my PS basically screams it), but I'm going to make sure I don't sound to definite during my interviews.

CavalierMD

Secondary Stalker 4-Lyf!
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Status
Pre-Medical
Haemulon said:
I like Peds as well, especially if I tie it in with Med. Gen. (there are a few double board residencies I think).
Definitely. You can totally mix and match residencies and fellowships to be whatever you want! (Depending on how long you can stand being in training...) I grew up in a tiny tiny town so I'm pretty committed to primary care, and I *heart* kids so peds just makes sense... but I'll keep my options open...

Anastasis

caffeinated for safety
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
TX
Status
Attending Physician
I started out totally into family practice but I'm starting to like internal medicine, maybe a hospitalist?

(I like Endocrine too, Haemulon!)

WilliamsF1

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Radiology, but surgery has always interested me. These are the only two fields I've had experiences with so I am a little bias. I will be open in med school during rotations to see if something else is a little more interesting. Nothing definite yet at all.

Severus

FTSM!
10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
teh OR
Status
Resident [Any Field]
neurology, neuropathology, something surgical maybe, international medicine and ID (probably not, but there's a chance).

durfen

I see plans within plans
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Kaitain
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Haemulon said:
Which specialties have you all thought about pursuing? I know it is very early and that rotations will give us the info we need to make those decisions, but are there any areas attractive to you already? As for me, I am initially interested in Med. Gen., IM (maybe critical care, general practice, or endocrinology sub spec.), and Diagnostic Rad., but am very open to exploring other options as well.
rad

About the Ads

obrn

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Status
Medical Student
OB/GYN or MFM (If I can stand the extra several years for fellowship!)

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status
Medical Student
invasive cardiology for sure

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
General Surgery.

runningmom

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2006
Maryland!!!
Status
Medical Student
We need a poll!! And someone to keep this thread for a few years and see what the diff is between the "now" and the "match". :)

I like family med, OB/GYN, ENT, and Emergency.

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Tally/Willkillya County
psu.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
I'm surprised at the amount of primary care type people for some reason. That being said...I like doing cutting, and I love the technology involved with radiology...I am going to give everything a chance but IR or IN seems like a good fit for me as of now. The imaging stuff is so cool and I'd still get to do stuff besides staring at a computer monitor all day..which in retrospect is what I do already but still.

OP
Haemulon

Haemulon

Slippery When Wet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2006
On SDN
Status
Resident [Any Field]
MossPoh said:
I'm surprised at the amount of primary care type people for some reason. That being said...I like doing cutting, and I love the technology involved with radiology...I am going to give everything a chance but IR or IN seems like a good fit for me as of now. The imaging stuff is so cool and I'd still get to do stuff besides staring at a computer monitor all day..which in retrospect is what I do already but still.
I agree. I think anything heavily diagnostic, such as rad, is more for me. Thats why I also mentioned med gen and IM (especially with something like endocrinology). I like the troubleshooting, puzzle-solving type specialties. Of course, Rad is definitely procedure based, but also a lot of crticial thinking.

Flamejacket disclaimer: I do not mean to suggest other specialties are not thinking or puzzle-solveng, just that some have a more "thinking/troubleshooting" and some a more "doing/procedure" emphasis.

About the Ads

Compass

Squishy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2006
Status
Pure Ownage. I haven't decided yet. :rolleyes:

OP
Haemulon

Haemulon

Slippery When Wet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2006
On SDN
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Compass said:
Pure Ownage. I haven't decided yet. :rolleyes:
Nothing wrong with that at all. Heck, many of us may end up in something completely different than what we think right now.

Looque

Bob Loblaw
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2006
Hyde Park, Chicago
Status
Medical Student
At this point, I'm most interested in either neurology (or clinical neuroscience in some form) or orthopaedic surgery, just because that's what most of my experience is in. However, if I really enjoy the emergency medicine rotation, then I hope to pursue that. As counterintuitive as it may be, I've heard that emergency medicine is the most conducive speciality to having a family life.

OP
Haemulon

Haemulon

Slippery When Wet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2006
On SDN
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Anastasis said:
I started out totally into family practice but I'm starting to like internal medicine, maybe a hospitalist?

(I like Endocrine too, Haemulon!)
Hospitalist would be an interesting choice. Would make one a very well rounded physician definitely. Get to track/manage all the medical inpatients.

That brings up another interesting consideration as to whether some specialties are more suited to private practice versus contracts with hospitals and health care systems. Pluse for some lifestyle, pay, variety, etc ... are all considerations. Wow. So much to think about. I think the bottom line is to choose something that you will really love doing, and then factor in all the other considerations to help narrow down and make ultimate selections.

OP
Haemulon

Haemulon

Slippery When Wet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2006
On SDN
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Looque said:
At this point, I'm most interested in either neurology (or clinical neuroscience in some form) or orthopaedic surgery, just because that's what most of my experience is in. However, if I really enjoy the emergency medicine rotation, then I hope to pursue that. As counterintuitive as it may be, I've heard that emergency medicine is the most conducive speciality to having a family life.
Maybe not most conducive, but definitely more family friendly than many specialties. Something like Derm is pretty family friendly too.

Looque

Bob Loblaw
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2006
Hyde Park, Chicago
Status
Medical Student
Haemulon said:
Maybe not most conducise, but definitely more family friendly than many specialties. Something like Derm is pretty family friendly too.
Ha, yeah, derm is pretty relaxed. I don't think I'd be happy doing that, though... "Pimple-popper MD" a la Seinfeld.

Anastasis

caffeinated for safety
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
TX
Status
Attending Physician
"Dermatology is greek for 'fake doctor' " ~ Dr. Cox

burntfries

10+ Year Member
May 29, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
i have no freaking idea. and it especially bugs me when secondaries as me this question!

lilTXcatMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2005
Texas
Status
Medical Student
neonatal, MFM, peds... something around there...

About the Ads

Sol Rosenberg

Long Live the New Flesh!
10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2006
Living in America
Status
Attending Physician
Anastasis said:
"Dermatology is greek for 'fake doctor' " ~ Dr. Cox
What a coincidence, because Derm is one of my top 3: (General) Surgery, Derm, and IM. Beyond that, I can see myself doing EM, an IM specialty, Urology, Anesthesiology, Neuro., and, depending upon how much schooling I want, a surgical specialty like Neurosurgery or Cardiothroacic Surgery. Specialties that I definitely don't think I would like are Path, Rads, OB/GYN (Path and Rads seem too much like my current job)

Yeah, I've really narrowed it right down! :)

Dr Durden

10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
The Dirty South
Status
Medical Student
Anything that gets me into the OR more than on the wards. Really like what I've seen so far of ENT, but am definitely open to new experiences.

freshh.

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pre-Medical
OB/GYN, Perinatology. That's pretty much it, but if I had to add two more they'd be Oncology or Cardiology.

durfen

I see plans within plans
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Kaitain
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Dr Durden said:
Anything that gets me into the OR more than on the wards. Really like what I've seen so far of ENT, but am definitely open to new experiences.
You should consider Transplant. It's great.

WhatUpDoc!

The Sign Says It All
10+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2005
Somewhere, USA
Status
Attending Physician
Gen surg 4 sure... I was born to slice... shoulda been a samurai :( :p

eerapido

EagleEyes
10+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Ophthalmology

swim2md

Ni.
10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
outside your window.
Status
Pre-Medical
Haemulon said:
Maybe not most conducive, but definitely more family friendly than many specialties. Something like Derm is pretty family friendly too.
If looking for family friendly, I thought everyone knew about the "ROAD" to happiness.... Radiology, Opthomology, Anesthesiology, Dermatology..... all have great $$$ and hours..... good luck getting a residency though! :laugh:

JimmyG

Really a gal
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Geripsych or just plain ol' Geriatrician

Yup...all that schooling for that... :)

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Tally/Willkillya County
psu.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
JimmyG said:
Geripsych or just plain ol' Geriatrician

Yup...all that schooling for that... :)
Someone needs to do it! I love my gma but don't want to deal with old people all the time.....plus it'll be weird when I'm the same age as most of them to me.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
Wild west of Mistytown
Status
I want a family friendly specialty but who knows where I'll end up. Most likely I won't subspecialize because I wouldn't get out until I'm 40. But if I did it would probably be a sub-pediatrics field like neonatology, PICU, or anest, hem/onc would be awesome too.

I'm really interested in ER and ID too. Maybe ER with fellowship in ID.

geno2568

10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Status
Pre-Medical
theres a part of me that wants to do an internal specialty or surgery, put in a lot of time in a hospital, climb the ranks, become chief then hospital director

then theres a part of me that wants to do rad/optho and get my 400k for putting in 45hours/week

OP
Haemulon

Haemulon

Slippery When Wet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2006
On SDN
Status
Resident [Any Field]
mshheaddoc said:
I want a family friendly specialty but who knows where I'll end up. Most likely I won't subspecialize because I wouldn't get out until I'm 40. But if I did it would probably be a sub-pediatrics field like neonatology, PICU, or anest, hem/onc would be awesome too.

I'm really interested in ER and ID too. Maybe ER with fellowship in ID.
I'm older as well. Looking at 37/38 to be done with residency. Not counting sub spec. Guess i'll just see what happens :)

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
Wild west of Mistytown
Status
I hear ya. And 40 is if I get in the first time (which might be slim at this point). Its demanding on family life and its a decision we all have to face. :D It also depends on what type of residency you're looking at. So many factors.

JUST LET US IN so we can find out :D

MollyMalone

I'm a Score Quadruplet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
The anterosuperior branch of the inferomedial some
Status
I'm thinking pulmonology/critical care, but I'm trying hard to stay open.

ID, Cards, & EM are definitely on the radar scope. If I wind up wanting to go into a surgical specialty, I'll never make it because I will have died from shock.

About the Ads