Which specialties do not require research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheMan21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that research looks good on a resume when one is applying for a residency, but which specialties involve the least amount of research for the doctor who has finished residency/fellowship? I may change my mind later, but right now I'm really down on lab based research. Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm kind of in this boat myself. When did it become so wrong to just want to be a clinician? Somebody's got to be out there seeing patients and actually applying this stuff.

Most of the faculty I see who focus on research spend like 3-4 hours per day, tops, on patient care; many of them see something like 5 patients per half-day in clinic.

I know that research looks good on a resume when one is applying for a residency, but which specialties involve the least amount of research for the doctor who has finished residency/fellowship? I may change my mind later, but right now I'm really down on lab based research. Thanks for the help.

Primary care. Hospitalist. If you are trying to do a subspecialty fellowship within IM, esp. at a strong program, then research is a key component of your application (esp. Cards/GI). Honestly, I don't really understand the question-I've never heard someone pick a specialty based on the least amount of research "required." That doesn't make much sense to me...Focus on your clinical interests first. Are you in IM residency now trying to pick a fellowship, or med school trying to pick a residency (the latter being the only one I can really speak on)?

Members don't see this ad :)
On every interview I went on this year, I blatantly came out and said I was not interested in pursuing anything research related. This seemed to be accepted well by the folks who were interviewing me. My disclaimer is that I want to do either primary care or hospitalist medicine and I did not apply to the "prestigious" programs that most people on this site throw around so much. While I won't know if this strategy worked for a couple of months, I don't think it will negatively impact my chances of matching within my top 3.

If you go to website of a small hospital residency/fellowship websites, all of them talk about how much research they are doing but most of them don't have much NIH funding or even lab space. Whether you do research or not later in your career but it is sort of requirement while in training esp in fellowship. In residency at most places you really don't much time to do research and it is up to individual whether you want to pursue research in your spare time.

Many, if not all, hospitals have clinical educator track who primarily see patients and only research they do it by collaboration like enrolling patients in a study etc. I have seen many of such physicians who don't do much research and it is perfectly acceptable. Even in the top gun hospitals like Harvard affiliated ones have this track. You can always go for private practice or non academic hospitals like city hospitals if you are so allergic to research etc. But for most fellowships you need to do some research at least while in fellowship.

I think the reason academic instituitions look for research in their candidates is not purely because they expect you to do research in the future. Sometimes its ok to express a sincere interest in research in some form even if your CV is not loaded with peer-reviewed publications. This is because they expect your acquaintance with the research methodology and comfort with critical appraisal of literature. These skills are quite important to make evidence based decisions/arguements and provide the best care to your patients. They also expect you to have a healthy amount of intellectual curiosity so that if you encounter a roadblock/clinical question through your practice, you will actually take interest and have the ability to look up the latest literature to answer your question. These are qualities of a good physician, especially at the level of subspecialty regardless of the role of research in your career.

In other words, its great to make friends with research even if you don't wish to put a ring on its finger ;)

Reactions: 1 user