Which specialty board exams can you sit for w/o residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredvm297

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know after about 5 years in GP you can sit for the ABVP exam, but what about ACVECC after years in emergency? Any others?

Members don't see this ad.

Not many. ECC definitely requires a residency; ECC as a specialty is so much more than just working as an emergency doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
ECC as a specialty is so much more than just working as an emergency doctor.
And I don't think someone would pass unless they're working in a large ECC center for an extended period of time and good mentorship. Just wouldn't get the case variety with owners following through on diagnostics and treatment otherwise

And I don't think someone would pass unless they're working in a large ECC center for an extended period of time and good mentorship. Just wouldn't get the case variety with owners following through on diagnostics and treatment otherwise
It's delineated clearly within the ACVECC requirements (that almost nobody would read unless they were participating in or interested in an ECC residency) that you are not even allowed to sit for ACVECC board exams without first having participated in an approved residency program.

Therio has an alternate route involving a heavy reproductive practice + publication.

Theriogenology and sports medicine & rehabilitation both have alternative routes to becoming a diplomate. I know of several people that have done each.

Reactions: 1 user
Dentistry has an alternative path, but to my understanding it's borderline impossible to accomplish the requirements in the time frame required