Which specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Specialty?

• Allergy/Immunology

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Anesthesiology

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Dermatology

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Emergency Med

Votes: 22 10.1%
  • Family Med

Votes: 8 3.7%
  • Internal Med

Votes: 22 10.1%
  • Neurology/Neurosurgery

Votes: 24 11.1%
  • OB/GYN

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • Ophthalmology

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Orthopaedic Surgery

Votes: 16 7.4%
  • Otolaryngology

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Pathology

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Pediatrics

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • Plastic surgery

• Psychiatry

• Radiation oncology

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Radiology

Votes: 10 4.6%
  • Sports Med

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Surgery

Votes: 28 12.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 3.7%

• Total voters

unicorn06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know most people are probably undecided, but I thought it would be interesting to see what specialties people are considering. I hope you all like this poll better...

Members don't see this ad.

Really I'm undecided, but my two favorites at this point are Urology and Internal Medicine.

Urology: Male health and sexual function/dysfunction are topics that I find interesting. I find the practice of urology very cool, too, i.e., the mix of clinic and surgical procedures. BTW, I see this specialty didn't make your list. :(

Internal Medicine: I have the most exposure to Internal Medicine. I like the complexity of the patients seen on an inpatient basis with this specialty. A real "thinkers" specialty.

why can't i vote?

edit: n/m i can now...a second ago it was just the results

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow... what happened to anything related to cardio or vascular?

osli said:

Thats what I was thinking!

I am interested in Internal Medicine with a focus on Geriatrics.

osli said:

just put it in other, it would take a fortnight to list all the specialties...major ones or not

C.P. Jones said:
just put it in other, it would take a fortnight to list all the specialties...major ones or not

Thank you for making reference to my favorite unit of time, the fortnight :love:

Risa said:
Thank you for making reference to my favorite unit of time, the fortnight :love:
It's what I love about watching Wimbledon! :laugh:

Risa said:

also one of my favorites...but it really needs to watch it's back.....score is closing in quite fast :)

osli said:

Its a subspecialty of Internal Medicine....need a fellowship in these after your general internal medicine residency.

BrettBatchelor said:
Rads, Path or Rad Onc. Still Exploring

I was thinking about this today: do clinical patholigsts have malpractice insurance?

Members don't see this ad :)
ed2brute said:
Urology: Male health and sexual function/dysfunction are topics that I find interesting. I find the practice of urology very cool, too, i.e., the mix of clinic and surgical procedures. BTW, I see this specialty didn't make your list. :(

Aside from all this...be prepared to put in lots and lots of foley catheters that others may not be able to (same goes to orthos who get the call to pop back really hard dislocated joints)

MahlerROCKS said:
I was thinking about this today: do clinical patholigsts have malpractice insurance?

What about forensic patholgists??? Intersting

BrettBatchelor said:
clinical pathologist???? I think that is an oxymoron.

I've always heard non-laboratory patholigist referred to as clinical patholigsts--there has to be a better name

What is their job description? Analyzing crime scene data?

The fellowships are
Blood Bank/Transfusion
Neuropath
Peds
Selective
chemical
cyto
hematology
forensic

Not sure which one would be considered "clinical" If you browse the path forum they laugh at the thought of going to the wards.

MahlerROCKS said:
Oh yes, and it's quite high (my dad is a pathologist and this is his biggest complaint about practicing). Think about it...patient's breast biopsy gets sent to a pathologist. He/she says: Cancer. Patient gets her entire breast removed. If it wasn't cancer after all...major lawsuit. My guess is it'd be even worse if the cancer went incorrectly diagnosed. If you were referring to pathologists that don't do biopsies, I think they would still have malpractice insurance, especially because figuring out the cause of death in autopsies is a very sensitive issue and can have a lot of ramifications if you're wrong (including getting sued).

I'm thinking I would like EM and OB/GYN the best. Having said that, I'll probably end up becoming a proctologist.

MrBurns10 said:
Oh yes, and it's quite high (my dad is a pathologist and this is his biggest complaint about practicing). Think about it...patient's breast biopsy gets sent to a pathologist. He/she says: Cancer. Patient gets her entire breast removed. If it wasn't cancer after all...major lawsuit. My guess is it'd be even worse if the cancer went incorrectly diagnosed.

I'm thinking I would like EM and OB/GYN the best. Having said that, I'll probably end up becoming a proctologist.
Good Point...I'll have to ask around the Path forum for some more info.

BrettBatchelor said:
What is their job description? Analyzing crime scene data?

The fellowships are
Blood Bank/Transfusion
Neuropath
Peds
Selective
chemical
cyto
hematology
forensic

Not sure which one would be considered "clinical" If you browse the path forum they laugh at the thought of going to the wards.

I'm assuming its forensic (dead people); I wasn't aware of all the fields

MahlerROCKS said:
I'm assuming its forensic (dead people); I wasn't aware of all the fields
I just got what you were talking about....
Pathology is broken down into anatomic and clinical..

Pathology is the specialty dealing with the causes and nature of disease. Pathologists contribute to diagnosis, prognosis and treatment through knowledge gained by the laboratory application of the basic sciences. Pathologists have the clinical training as well as laboratory expertise to consult with physicians and patients. Although the field consists of both anatomic and clinical pathology, many pathologists tend to focus on one area: anatomic pathologists usually work in hospitals investigating the effect of disease on the human body via autopsies and microscopic examination of tissue, cells and other specimens; clinical pathologists work in laboratories supervising testing procedures, and their work is a blend of microbiology, hematology, chemistry, immunology and business management

BrettBatchelor said:
I just got what you were talking about....
Pathology is broken down into anatomic and clinical..

Pathology is the specialty dealing with the causes and nature of disease. Pathologists contribute to diagnosis, prognosis and treatment through knowledge gained by the laboratory application of the basic sciences. Pathologists have the clinical training as well as laboratory expertise to consult with physicians and patients. Although the field consists of both anatomic and clinical pathology, many pathologists tend to focus on one area: anatomic pathologists usually work in hospitals investigating the effect of disease on the human body via autopsies and microscopic examination of tissue, cells and other specimens; clinical pathologists work in laboratories supervising testing procedures, and their work is a blend of microbiology, hematology, chemistry, immunology and business management

I see; thanks!

I've always been interested in Peds but I've also been exploring Maternal-Fetal medicine.

forensic psychiatry here!

Yay criminals!

Ophthalmology here.

I want to be an Eye Cutter! :eek:

MahlerROCKS said:

yep

Where's Heme/Onc? Anyway, specialties I'm interested in all start down the road of internal med... Who knows, maybe I'll stay there so I can begin my practice before I'm 50 ;)

Radiology. Imaging science is fascinating.

Toss up between pathology, radiology, ENT, ophthalmology and psychiatry (specifically forensic psychiatry). I want absolutely nothing to do with OB/GYN.

Radiation oncology (=Therapeutic oncology) here. :cool:

KudosLaLa said:
Radiation oncology (=Therapeutic oncology) here. :cool:
Mmmm, Kirin Ichiban. Good stuff.

Is it just me...or is there a whole lot of responses for Neuro...i had no idea it was really popular???

Dr GeddyLee...Rush is awesome...and i'm not talking about the school

Some sort of surgery for me.

Love the diagnostic side of neurology. Might end up doing something that involves more procedures, like interventional radiology. Neurosurgery is compelling, but what a long, hard path, especially for a nontrad like me.

BaylorGuy said:
Dr GeddyLee...Rush is awesome...and i'm not talking about the school
Hell yeah :horns: :D

Beware, some would say that neurologists are the biggest whiniest babies in medicine (I would never say that of course :laugh: )

I say that half-jokingly, we have more turnover in neuro than in any other office here and the biggest ****** always seem to be in that department.

It's encouraging to see so much diversity in desired specialty. Almost every category has at least one person, and no category seems to clearly dominate...

mustangsally65 said:
Family medicine. I see I'm a minority here. ;)

i'm leaning towards primary care too, but i'd probably shoot for internal medicine or a med/peds residency to keep my options more open.

doctajay said:
Trauma Surgery all the way for me. Either that or just general surgery. I wanna go out onto the mission field.

I'm kind of in the same situation...either want to do trauma surgery or possibly critical care anesthesiology...gotta love resuscitation.

Looking at Cowley Shock Trauma center in the future....too idealistic??

Even though I haven't heard of that place, I don't think its too unrealistic. If you are good, you should be alright. I want to work at University of Maryland's Shock Trauma Hospital myself.

Something Immunology related. Organ transplants, cancer, autoimmune disorders, allergy, infectious disease. Cool stuff.

Dr GeddyLee said:
Radiology. Imaging science is fascinating.

Just know that if you don't like the idea of dictating endless reports, you're gonna hate it. They have to talk, and talk and talk, doing all of that dictation.

I'm a medical transcriptionist to pay the bills while in school, and radiologists by far have to dictate the most. It's also a much more isolated speciality than most, sitting in a room looking at films and dictating the results. Interventional radiology is a little more cool with interesting procedures, but the isolation would be the end of me. Give me people not films!

Oh, and if this is truly where your passion is, don't think I'm telling you to do something else. If it fits with your personality I'm sure it's great. Not everyone realizes exactly what a majority of their day is spent on.