Which state is best to work in 1-2 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

questionstoask

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had a choice to work in any state for 1-2yrs to gain state residency and to enjoy yourself(go out, go to the beach,etc), which state would be best? please advice me with states like FL, SC, MN, etc. Anything but NY.

sorry if unclear: 1)want to apply to state med school and 2) want to have fun before med school

Members don't see this ad.

MN is hot and sticky during the summer. And has such unpredictable weather. SC is hot and sticky during the summer. And beyond Charleston, doesn't have much to it's name other than beaches.

CO is nice, but we only have one med school. Go with something like NC... Raleigh and the triangle are nice, and you have beaches a short drive away. Plus, you actually get snow during the winter.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd go somewhere with plentiful medical schools but also reasonable admissions stats-

I would have said NY, but if that isn't an option, I'd check out Ohio or Illinois.

You should probably check out the MSAR.

EDIT: Oh and definitely TEXAS!

For the love of God... Texas.

Texas. NY has a bunch of med schools, but they don't show strict preference like TX does. Texas schools can have a maximum of 10% OOS applicants. 6 schools follow that rule. There's also Baylor which shows high preference to Tx residents, cheap tuition, and highly ranked.

Texas also has nice beaches in Galveston. Just uhh... don't complain about summer. Anyway, definitely don't go CA. That's suicide.

do u get state residency in both fl and tx after 1yr of working/living? i think florida is a much nicer state, hotter women, beaches, tennis.

how about some midwestern states(mn, wi, co, ut)? would it be difficult to get into their med schools even as a state resident? that is compared to med schools like SUNY upstate and downstate?

i dont know how i would have fun in TX. it has no beaches, it's 100degrees, etc. NC has 1 school that is easy to get into, but its match list sucks. Others like UNC are hard to get into even for in-staters.

No clue about the residency requirements.
Ohio or Illinois or WV would be the best choice in the Midwest.

so u recommend chicago? i dont think it's as bad as nyc in terms of people and fun. but it has the same terrible climate and it's expensive. so i wouldnt enjoy it.

NC has 1 school that is easy to get into, but its match list sucks. Others like UNC are hard to get into even for in-staters.

And yet you want to know about Colorado, which has one school period, and is aimed at primary care? I dunno how competitive it is. It seems like everyone from my school that I talk to is accepted, and their website sucks, so I don't know the stats.

do u get state residency in both fl and tx after 1yr of working/living? i think florida is a much nicer state, hotter women, beaches, tennis.

how about some midwestern states(mn, wi, co, ut)? would it be difficult to get into their med schools even as a state resident? that is compared to med schools like SUNY upstate and downstate?

Uhh.. Galveston is an island in Texas. I would think it has a beach.

Texas residency requirement: http://www.utexas.edu/student/admissions/residency/

Basically, live and work in Texas for a year.

And yet you want to know about Colorado, which has one school period, and is aimed at primary care? I dunno how competitive it is. It seems like everyone from my school that I talk to is accepted, and their website sucks, so I don't know the stats.
yeah i think CO is too competitive just like UNC. I dont have msar on me, i base it on memory. But i wonder if UT, Wi, MN were all just as competitive?

Also how about Nevada or Oregon? Reno is a cheap city but located 1hr from Lake Tahoe! Med school is not very competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Galveston has disgusting beaches. However, Corpus Christi has pretty nice ones.

Galveston has terribly polluted beaches, just like nyc, i wouldnt swim there. and humidity is worse than in nyc. And women there are garbage.

Do you want to get into med school or swim at a beach? :rolleyes:

ok ive decided if i dont get to stay in the city where i am right now, i'll have to go with either Chicago or Tampa,fl. But i really know nothing about those cities other than what i've read on the internet. Can you go to the beach 24/7 in Tampa, or there are sharks, crocodiles and sewage?

I think it will be best for me if i just get into grad school here.

so u recommend chicago? i dont think it's as bad as nyc in terms of people and fun. but it has the same terrible climate and it's expensive. so i wouldnt enjoy it.
I kinda understand the people comment (in the sense that us NYC folks can be insanely rude at times), but fun? NYC has plenty of fun stuff to do, and there's no way chicago has us beat on fun.

Part of the fun might even involve being insanely rude to people who think Chicago is more fun ;)

Nah, seriously though, there's probably no state where you can chill out on the beach 24/7 and then get super easy access into med school, or we'd probably all have moved there, lol. Texas is probably one of the better states to have residency at, but it's definitely no beach party.

Still, living in Austin for a few years wouldn't be bad, just don't get your hopes up about the beach lol.

Come to Ohio and live by me in the snow belt...so much fun in the winter!

i vote FL. i am an original non-FL resident. very easy for me to obtain FL residency after living down here 1 year and working mostly part-time (i moved down here originally to attend a private college). now i am a FL resident and i get florida state tuition rates. plus some nice beaches and fun places on the south FLA side. and florida has lots of instate med schools...

Galveston has terribly polluted beaches, just like nyc, i wouldnt swim there. and humidity is worse than in nyc. And women there are garbage.

and the overall quality of the males (not men) there will diminish if you move there, oh well

and the overall quality of the males (not men) there will diminish if you move there, oh well

hahaha :laugh:

Oh, and Ohio has, um, beaches - aka Lake Erie - oh, yeah, and tooons of hot women...*snort*
anyway, to the OP, it sounds like your two goals are in conflict with each other; the places with a lot of state med schools (Ohio, Illinois, Pennsylvania, NY, etc.) are not exactly meant for the Miami/San Diego party types

I love Chicago, personally, but yes, it has 4 seasons, and though the Navy Pier is great to hang out in the spring and summer it can get cold; and you may actually have to work full time instead of hanging out on the beach to afford living there...of course, if you lived in rural Illinois you could party all you want and find a place to live, but maybe not what exactly you have in mind.

If you don't find NYC fun, you should just pack it in. I don't know that I'd necessarily want to live there, but it's most definitely a fun town by almost anyone's yardsticks.

I am sensing a theme here....
i dont know how i would have fun in TX. it has no beaches, it's 100degrees, etc.
NC has 1 school that is easy to get into, but its match list sucks.
And yet you want to know about Colorado, which has one school period, and is aimed at primary care? ... It seems like everyone from my school that I talk to is accepted, and their website sucks, so I don't know the stats.
Can you go to the beach 24/7 in Tampa, or there are sharks, crocodiles and sewage?
All from one thread in four hours? Wow...
I think it will be best for me if i just get into grad school here.
Indubitably.

grad school, or see if Paris Hilton needs anyone new to hang out with. :laugh:

i think tampa,fl is the best option. but florida med schools dont seem so easy to get into even instate. their gpa is very high. i could be more competitive if they considered low gpa+high mcat?

the places with a lot of state med schools (Ohio, Illinois, Pennsylvania, NY, etc.) are not exactly meant for the Miami/San Diego party types

Where are these numerous state schools you speak of, Pennstate is the only state school I believe, at Temple almost half our class is from california it seems like :). I agree that these places not meant for the Miami/San Diego party types, philly is fun but I'm sure its nothing like a city on the beach that is warm year round

anybody know what the residency requirements are for Ohio?

p.s. Don't go to maryland