which state is better for residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vashka

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have the option of moving to either NYC, MD, or VA for the next few years. I would like to create the best possible means of getting into med school and I'm not sure if residency matters so much between the 3 states. Note that I can save more money living in the DC suburbs than in NYC before I head off to school. Also, anyone who knows squat about any of those areas regarding quality of schools please chime in. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So, I have the option of moving to either NYC, MD, or VA for the next few years. I would like to create the best possible means of getting into med school and I'm not sure if residency matters so much between the 3 states. Note that I can save more money living in the DC suburbs than in NYC before I head off to school. Also, anyone who knows squat about any of those areas regarding quality of schools please chime in. Thanks!

NY has alot of good state schools, MD doesnt. VA is intermediate id say

Well, MD is probably the worst choice because there's just Johns Hopkins (very hard to get into + doesn't care about residency) and U of Maryland (takes like 25% OOS, so not particularly IS-focused). Virginia, however, has 3 schools - VCU, EVMS, UVA, and at least EVMS/VCU have a strong in-state preference (dunno about UVA) and aren't crazy-competitive like, say, Johns Hopkins.

NY certainly takes the cake with the # of schools - 4 SUNYs, Albany, NYMC, AECOM, Mount Sinai, NYU, Columbia....and there are also osteo schools to consider in those 3 states if you think you might be interested in that. However, I think it's only the SUNYs that have IS preference, since the other schools are private.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check into all three to see if living there for a few years is even enough to establish residency. If its not - don't bother.

Then, as the poster above said - get rid of MD, its not beneficial to you.

If both Virginia and New York would give you residency status (for both tuition and application status) then find out which one will be cheaper tuition AND living expense wise if you choose one of their instate schools.

Move to tx the medical school class must consist of 90 % residents per texas law. Plus you are able to apply to the private schools in NY etc...

im pretty sure AECOM and MSSM are private, so no preferential treatment to OOS.

i would still recommend NY. The SUNY system offers you at least 5 or 6 schools off the top of my head that would prefer to take an in stater.

NY certainly takes the cake with the # of schools - 4 SUNYs, Albany, NYMC, AECOM, Mount Sinai, NYU, Columbia....and there are also osteo schools to consider in those 3 states if you think you might be interested in that. However, I think it's only the SUNYs that have IS preference, since the other schools are private.

You forgot Cornell.

albany, upstate, downstate, rochester, buffalo, nymc, cornell, columbia, NYU, MSSM, AECOM, Stony Brook, and I hear Touro is opening a med school soon.

did i forget any NY schools?

isnt that osteo?

Oooops that's right...

Remember that being a resident of a state for legal purposes is not the same as being a resident for medical school purposes. For med school purposes, residency requirements are much more strict than legal purposes. For example, I believe that in MA you have to have attended highschool there in order to be considered a resident. Check out the med school residency requirements in your state before you do something drastic like move.

Remember that being a resident of a state for legal purposes is not the same as being a resident for medical school purposes. For med school purposes, residency requirements are much more strict than legal purposes. For example, I believe that in MA you have to have attended highschool there in order to be considered a resident. Check out the med school residency requirements in your state before you do something drastic like move.

This is very true. I'm not sure if you're working or attending school, but some states differentiate between the two. Using MA as an example, you have to graduate from high school here or work for at least 5 consecutive years in the state. Some states don't mind if you're in the state to attend school, but it's definitely something to research.

Move to tx the medical school class must consist of 90 % residents per texas law. Plus you are able to apply to the private schools in NY etc...

Stay away from Texas. :p