Mr.E

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2004
California
Status
I'm getting ready for 2006 application and was wondering which state schools accept a good number of incoming out-of-state applicants?

Nendo21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
Visit site
Status
Mr.E said:
I'm getting ready for 2006 application and was wondering which state schools accept a good number of incoming out-of-state applicants?
http://dentalstats.tripod.com/03-04.htm

check out the website and see for yourself. it's from last year but chances are if the schools accepted many out of staters last year they will accept as many next year. good luck

msf41

AADSAS = rip off
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2003
Kansas
Visit site
Status
Checking out that dental stats website will give you a good idea about which schools accept a high number of out-of-staters, but remember numbers aren't everything. For example: UMKC accepts about 25% out-of-state students, but almost all of them are from Kansas. Most schools that accept out-of-state students favor students for surrounding or boardering states. Just something else to think about. Bottom line is, find a school that takes lots of out of staters and make a 2 minute phone call to the admissions office and ask what YOUR chances are applying from YOUR state. Just my thoughts.

GENERAL TSO

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
Status
Mr.E said:

suny

very few unfortunately.

DMD_hopeful

Registered lunatic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2004
Status
UMDNJ.. The website listed above might not say so, but that's because by the time you enroll you're already a NJ resident.

Sweeti8286

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2005
Michigan
Status
Dentist
Mr.E said:
U. Michigan and Case Western

Tzips

Chocoholic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
Peering around the corner...
Status
Resident [Any Field]
SUNY Stony, I think, from now on... they've had a bad track record (0-1 per year) but they said that this year (app cycle 2005) they'll accept 10 non-residents, so it looks like they're changing their policy.

DIRTIE

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
Las Vegas
Status
Dental Student
Being from a state without a dental school I too had this question.
I would say state schools that accept a good number of out of staters are:
VCU, Maryland, UNLV, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio State, Iowa, Temple(if you count that as a state school), Louisville. I'm sure that there are others but that is a pretty good list.
You might want to check out the residency policies for these schools. Reall, if you can't get residency during the 4 years I would go to a private school.