which state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Megalofyia

425 lbs and growing
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you could live in any state, with regards to getting into med school, which state would you live in and why?

Members don't see this ad.

depends on what you want

easy access to med schools? TX

easy access to a top 10 state school? Washington

One of the greatest number of public medical schools in the US

Cheap tuition (UTMb: 6-7K)

Cheap leaving (housing is cheap in texas)

Not as many people applying to each slot as some of the other big states (i.e. Cali)

Great beef.........yummmmm....beef :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohio is probably the easiest state to get into medical school, with six allopathic schools giving preference to in-state applicants. Case Western Reserve University is a great private medical school, and Ohio State and University of Cincinnati are good publicly funded schools.

Texas has some great options within their system, and tuition is very low.

New York has the SUNY system of schools...and of course, it's a good central location from which to travel to all the NE schools.

California may look like a good option with many schools, but there's more graduates per medical school spot in that state than most, so it's actually a very poor option.

How do Louisiana and Mississippi fare?

Originally posted by Megalofyia
How do Louisiana and Mississippi fare?

LA has 3 schools: Tulane, and the two LSU's (NO and Shreve).

They are easy to get in to, but with TX, u have the same ease, and a greater # of schools.

Mississippi has one med school, and it's very easy to get into. They only take in state students, and the #'s are very low.

I would still go with TX, or with WA, if u want a top 10 state school.

Oh, Illinois has quite a few med schools, and someone brought up Ohio, I say NY too. I would say:

1) TX
2) Ohio
3) LA
4) Mississippi
5) NY
6) Illinois
7) WA

Vermont. Vermont. Vermont.

Why you ask? Nice community to live in. Rural. Stowe, Sugarbush, Jay Peak, Mad River Glen, Killington....need i say more?

btw, that ranking was subjective. I could do a statistical run to get a real list, but I'm feeling lazy atm, sorry =D

oh, and add alabama on that list, right about WA.

oops, I misread your original post..I have been listing the easiest med school states for admissions purposes

No problem, Blitzkrieg. what do you mean by Mississippi has low numbers? Like they have a small class size or their stats are low?

how tough is it to get into the Texas schools being out of state??? if possible does somebody have a percentage to go by?

thanks

Originally posted by Megalofyia
No problem, Blitzkrieg. what do you mean by Mississippi has low numbers? Like they have a small class size or their stats are low?

stats are low

Originally posted by BobbyDylanFan
how tough is it to get into the Texas schools being out of state??? if possible does somebody have a percentage to go by?

thanks

Last year, 2439 TEXAS residents applied, and 1063 were accepted. In contrast 563 NON-RESIDENTS applied, and only 72 were accepted.

Info found at: http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/stats.htm

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg
stats are low

Well, their stats are comparable with other state schools in the region. There just aren't that many applicants, though...around 500 for 100 spots. So, the odds are much better.

Originally posted by SouthernGirl
Well, their stats are comparable with other state schools in the region. There just aren't that many applicants, though...around 500 for 100 spots. So, the odds are much better.

actually, although I have seen as high a GPA for them as 3.69, it is usually hovering 3.5 or a little below. The MCAT is 28.2, while AL state schools are at a 30, with GPA 3.7. Louisiana state schools are lower, and Arkansas is about the same, but FL schools are much much higher in stats (save for FSU).

me, a stats freak, sorry..hehe

I am from Texas, and its a pretty good deal because you have two top-15ish schools (Baylor, UT-Southwestern), and then a ton of not-so-hot public schools (UT-Houston, UT-Galveston, UT-San Antonio, Texas A&M, Texas Tech). And all of these are equally cheap for tuition (8k)

But if I had a choice, I would be a california resident. Nothing tops UCSF and UCLA in terms of quality of education and price. I would give my left kidney to be a CA resident and get in-state tuition for UCSF.

It's true TX have a good system for med school admission for TX residents...

but I must say...if you check out all the other med school in US, there are only few student accepted from TX compare to other states...

I have talk to some admission office and they say it could be factor for the decision if you are from TX, committe can favor other stater instead TX residents if they are about same qualification...

but that could be false...oh well...