Which states allow PA's to own their own practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IDFTIGER

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which states allow PA's to open and own their own practice? How does this work in terms of Physiocian supervision etc.

Members don't see this ad.

medicare allows a pa to own 99% of a practice. a spouse, etc can own the other 1%
several states( a handful) do not allow pa's to own clinics- don't know which ones off hand. the vast majority do allow for pa ownership of clinics.
I have several friends who do this. typically you hire 2 physician consultants( in case 1 moves/quits/dies/etc) to do whatever the min state required chart review is( usually around 10% or so). they typically spend 0-4 hrs/week at the practice doing min admin stuff and are paid a few thousand a month+ a malpractice policy.in most states the md does not need to be present or participate in any care directly.I have 3 pa friends who opened a clinic together > 10 yrs ago. each works 2 twelve hr days/week and clears 150k/yr after expenses doing fp, urgent care, occupational med, minor derm/cosmetics/etc.
north carolina has the best climate for this with no required chart review. the pa needs to meet with a physican every 6 months for 30 min to discuss the practice. that's called coffee or a golf date.
in california only charts for which a sch 2 narcotic(morphine/demerol/percocet, etc) was written require review.
was there a specific state you were interested in? I can do a little research for you.....

this may help:
http://www.aapa.org/gandp/shrhldr-procorp.html

Thx for the info, I'm actually interested about PA owned practices in NY

Members don't see this ad :)
when I was at conference and saw the California Emergency Physicians table at the exhibit hall, I stopped to chat. I took the info and after reading through the info, the group states in plain english, that there is no partnership oppurtunities for midlevels as california law does not allow mid levels to be partners in medical practice ownership. Not sure if that is the truth, or just CEP making sure they tell possible associates they won't offer stock options to med-levels. It made me frown, one of the more liberal working environments for PA's but no ownership?

when I was at conference and saw the California Emergency Physicians table at the exhibit hall, I stopped to chat. I took the info and after reading through the info, the group states in plain english, that there is no partnership oppurtunities for midlevels as california law does not allow mid levels to be partners in medical practice ownership. Not sure if that is the truth, or just CEP making sure they tell possible associates they won't offer stock options to med-levels. It made me frown, one of the more liberal working environments for PA's but no ownership?
that is just their group. in ca a pa can own 49% of a practice.....
I have friends who own/run practices in ca. as long as you don't give 51% to one other individual you are still the controlling stockholder and can call all the plays.

What's with the 99% rule?
it's a medicare thing. only md/do folks can be 100% owners. a pa can own 99% and his/her spouse can own the other 1% as long as they aren't a pa. they can be a waitress but not a pa.....

it's a medicare thing. only md/do folks can be 100% owners. a pa can own 99% and his/her spouse can own the other 1% as long as they aren't a pa. they can be a waitress but not a pa.....

Ah, I love the government! ;) Could anything be finer than having national health care run by the government? Surely not. (dripping sarcasm for those who are Hillary fans)

Ah, I love the government! ;) Could anything be finer than having national health care run by the government? Surely not. (dripping sarcasm for those who are Hillary fans)

HAHAHAHA!!!!! Amen to that! :thumbup: :laugh: :smuggrin: