Which states or metros are highest paying in 2018?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baggend

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two fold question:

1. Which metros pay the most in 2018?
2. Which metros that used to pay a lot (for example 2015), don’t pay as well now?

Members don't see this ad.

California has gone up (miserable licensing process), Texas has gone down. Not so many job openings right now. Concerning.

Have buddies in cali and it seems like their pay is on par (or pretty close) with texas, depending on where you want to live. Probably a push with state income tax in cali and high property taxes in texas.

Will echo what miacomet has said, jobs drying up in both states/metro areas. Grads doing PRN in the boonies to get more hours in both states.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So much doom and gloom on here, my word. OP wasn’t even asking for opinions on the overall heath of EP job market but alas the regulars couldn’t help themselves.

OP, class now graduating from my program had no trouble finding jobs, many in highly desirable areas (including but not Ltd to nyc suburbs, Utah, california) signing for $350k+ starting. Don’t let the naysayers on here impose their (need for) glass-half-empty expectations on you.

Houston is still the highest paying major metro area IF you can land a job - the market is tight. Once you land a spot, IC rates from $250-300 are not uncommon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So much doom and gloom on here, my word. OP wasn’t even asking for opinions on the overall heath of EP job market but alas the regulars couldn’t help themselves.

OP, class now graduating from my program had no trouble finding jobs, many in highly desirable areas (including but not Ltd to nyc suburbs, Utah, california) signing for $350k+ starting. Don’t let the naysayers on here impose their (need for) glass-half-empty expectations on you.
Huh? What "regulars"? This @GLIPGLOP , nothing personal, but I have NO idea who they are, have never seen them before, and I have more than 15 pathetic years on SDN. @miacomet is newer, but not a lifer. Those were the only two that responded. And, the OP DID ask which areas don't pay as well as before.

So, I think you are kinda sorta WAY off base. Or, alternately, you have some agenda. Either way, this person asked, and got answers.

Reactions: 1 users
I will point out Dallas area dried up. The closing of multiple FSEDs and closing of Baylor Garland has caused an oversupply.

3 years ago I had:
1 main hospital ER gig
1 part time hospital ER gig
2 free standing ER gigs

Today:
1 main hospital ER gig

Sad really.

I was wondering about Houston.

I have to say I'm pretty familiar with the Utah market and don't know anywhere that pays $350k+ starting (it's always misleading to quote an annual salary- maybe they are working 2000 hours a year?)

NYC suburbs have lots of openings, it's true, as does NYC, but those are rough gigs for the most part. NJ is nearly all CMGs. CT pays well, but there's a reason, and there are also a lot of CMGs. The better gigs in CT are pretty far from the City. Long Island also has some rough groups, but I hear Northwell pays pretty well.

Glad everyone found a job, but I'm honestly surprised the groups in Utah (specifically SLC, I guess) are paying that much for a new grad since they all have partnership tracks that start new grads out with a pretty low hourly. Congrats!

Last edited:
Didn't the SLC guys get bought up by a CMG?

I have to say I'm pretty familiar with the Utah market and don't know anywhere that pays $350k+ starting (it's always misleading to quote an annual salary- maybe they are working 2000 hours a year?)

NYC suburbs have lots of openings, it's true, as does NYC, but those are rough gigs for the most part. NJ is nearly all CMGs. CT pays well, but there's a reason, and there are also a lot of CMGs. The better gigs in CT are pretty far from the City. Long Island also has some rough groups, but I hear Northwell pays pretty well.

Glad everyone found a job, but I'm honestly surprised the groups in Utah (specifically SLC, I guess) are paying that much for a new grad since they all have partnership tracks that start new grads out with a pretty low hourly. Congrats!

If you're getting hired on as a pre-partner in the 2 biggest Utah groups you are getting 250k-300k for the first two years and then about 40% more once you make partner. I suppose some of the smaller random groups could pay more, but even from those that I know about it's not 350k as a pre partner unless you're working 18 shifts a month or something.

Happen to know any numbers by chance?

If you're getting hired on as a pre-partner in the 2 biggest Utah groups you are getting 250k-300k for the first two years and then about 40% more once you make partner. I suppose some of the smaller random groups could pay more, but even from those that I know about it's not 350k as a pre partner unless you're working 18 shifts a month or something.

I would say even $250k is optimistic for at least one of the larger groups in the SLC area. I'm not sure what smaller, random groups exist in the SLC area- perhaps further afield. But I agree- no one is making $350k pre-partner (or salaried at the two employed gigs in the area) in northern Utah. Not sure where ichabodcrane is getting his numbers, but these are way off for SLC and environs.

Why not just call their recruiter?

Not actively looking/don't want to get harassed by recruiters/thought if you're going to post about payment for a particular job you'd actually know some numbers

Not actively looking/don't want to get harassed by recruiters/thought if you're going to post about payment for a particular job you'd actually know some numbers

The recruiters for Northwell are in-house. They don't harass you. They send you a nice email with the compensation structure and a description of each hospital. They aren't begging for docs- quite the opposite, in fact. Why would you assume they would harass you? And why are you being nasty? I was just pointing you in the direction of the most accurate information.