Which subject do you hate studying the most?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

For me it's embryology without a doubt, followed distantly by biochem.

I also HATE anything having to do with the lac operon - I seriously don't see how knowing the lac operon has anything at all to with being a competant physician. I know there are a lots of things on this test that mean absolutely nothing when it comes to being a physician, but the lac operon is definitely one of the most egregious.

*sigh* back to embryo review

Members don't see this ad.

two questions total on my boards for embryo. one was so rediculously easy and was in FA. the other question was soo freaking specific and detailed i doubt even even a phd in embryo would get it.

and why the hell are you covering the lac operon. its only in prokaryotes

two questions total on my boards for embryo. one was so rediculously easy and was in FA. the other question was soo freaking specific and detailed i doubt even even a phd in embryo would get it.

and why the hell are you covering the lac operon. its only in prokaryotes

I haven't really studied it but it's come up in a few UW questions.

I haven't really studied it but it's come up in a few UW questions.

Those questions totally threw me for a loop. I remember the first time I came across one of them - literally hadn't seen that stuff since second year of undergrad.

Biochem is the dreaded beast for me, although it's mainly because there are so many things w/in First Aid that neither my medical school nor my undergraduate education covered (many of the storage diseases, etc.). Guess it's not too much of a handicap though; I wouldn't remember the storage diseases any better now if I had memorized them all in the first couple months of first year anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Biochem is by far the subject I HATE the most. The 2nd is biochem....the 3rd is biochem followed by embryology. As you can tell, I really don't like biochem.

Biochem is probably my least favorite. Mainly because there are millions of mechanisms and no good way to remember all of them.

Embryo is up there too, especially all the layers in the early stages before it resembles a minihuman.

Honestly, I don't like physiology. Its sort of important though, huh? I find it interesting, but not particularly intuitive and so I have to learn a lot of stuff over and over because I just don't seem to get the basic concepts.

Definitely biochem -- least relevant for clinical medicine and also most irritating to memorize!
Very close second is micro -- argh! All those bacterial names confuse me, especially the hemolysis patterns, weird lab behavior, etc. Throw in virus families and whether the dang things are enveloped or not, RNA or DNA, single or double stranded and I'm SOL.

I hate biochem, but pharm is really sticking it to me. How do you keep all the names straight? I read a flashcard and I see amblablablahbladarone.

Microbiology for sure. I can never differentiate between different strains of bugs that cause a certain disease, and the names are so similar like S. pneumo and L. pneumophila. Strangely enough Biochem is one of my faves along with Immuno.

Honestly, I don't like physiology. Its sort of important though, huh? I find it interesting, but not particularly intuitive and so I have to learn a lot of stuff over and over because I just don't seem to get the basic concepts.
I am the exact opposite. It may be because I was a chem major with a lot of math and physics, but physiology comes very naturally to me. I wish everything was that natural though...

I am the exact opposite. It may be because I was a chem major with a lot of math and physics, but physiology comes very naturally to me. I wish everything was that natural though...

Yeah, math and physics are not my strong points. I actually believed that I was done with them after undergrad.... :eek:

I'm with y'all on PHARM. ICK. So much memorization and no matter how many times I look at the names, I can't keep it straight, much less remember all the drugs. I HATE IT!:mad:

Also, biochem sucks...

My fave is pathology :love:

I have trouble keeping pharm and micro straight - especially in regards to parasites which I can never remember for some reason. It's compounded when you ask a "what drug for this bug" question.

I really really hated biochem at the start of my studying, but now I only really hate it.

Molecular Biochem for sure. Ive been studying FA biochem and HY biochem and have a pretty good understanding of most of it. Unfortunately they can usually screw you up quite easily on most board questions by wording it differently or placing a sequence out of wack. So much for not using trickery to test us on concepts. Pharm is doable just a pain in the A$$.

Any subject that requires pure memorization.

I can't wait till I begin my clinical years. Is there much memorization their too?!