Which surgical specialty has the brightest future?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpikesnSpookes

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is difficult to predict, but which fields are on the rise and which on the fall? What are some thoughts on vascular and neurosurgery? As a student attending conferences in both fields, I have noticed that the technology in these two fields are extraordinary and endless but I'm not sure how to interpret the future of these fields. Any thoughts on other fields???

Members don't see this ad.

They all have bright futures, don't know which one is going to grow the most, that really depends on the technology that comes out.

I know this is difficult to predict, but which fields are on the rise and which on the fall? What are some thoughts on vascular and neurosurgery? As a student attending conferences in both fields, I have noticed that the technology in these two fields are extraordinary and endless but I'm not sure how to interpret the future of these fields. Any thoughts on other fields???

They all have bright futures, don't know which one is going to grow the most, that really depends on the technology that comes out.

It has less to do with tech and more to do with pathology. Anything to do with cardiovascular is growing very quickly. Vascular surgery in particular, see the clip (only need to watch maybe 30 seconds, I fast forwarded to the part).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It has less to do with tech and more to do with pathology. Anything to do with cardiovascular is growing very quickly. Vascular surgery in particular, see the clip (only need to watch maybe 30 seconds, I fast forwarded to the part).

I was present at that conference :) he's an outstanding speaker. But yes, I do recall those values, I just wonder how accurate they are.

I don't know about bright but CT surgery seems to be booming. I can't imagine my area is an anomaly but CABG cases are booming. Sure they're older and sicker and have multiple stents but hell, nobody said it was going to be easy. I honestly think the only stop to it will be when some regulator steps in and says "stop it's costing too much money"
People get older. You can give them medication and stent them and stop them from smoking or whatever you want but one day they WILL die and the vast majority will die of heart disease or cancer. We may not get em at 70, maybe not at 80, maybe not even at 90 but rest assured...we'll get em.

For other cases lung cancer is still a winner, valve disease and afib are prevelant but CABG man, making a comeback. Who would have thought.

The short answer is they all have bright futures. The population is aging and living longer then ever, and most surgical fields are in relative undersupply. That means more cardiovascular disease, more cancer (of every variety), more joint replacements and hip fractures, more BPH, and so on. Do what you're most interested in.

Reactions: 1 users
Ortho. Proximal hip fractures and joint replacements being the reason.

Don't sleep on PRS. 297,00o breast augs last year at an average of $3,800 with a 31% increase in surgeries since 2000.

Sure, you have to fight the "cosmetic surgery" quacks and people saying you're not a real doctor, but you don't have to fight with Medicare. To have a cash for service procedure like that to supplement your income is going to become more important down the line.

MACRA should go well for everyone... except, you know... the 50% of doctors that won't get a bonus at the end of the year and the 25% that will get hit with a 9% cut for being in "the bottom."

Reactions: 1 user
Every specialty at every annual meeting has a keynote speaker that touts similar data about their own specialty. Some data is generated by each society in the interest of lobbying on capitol hill, and other data is just massaged to suit the needs of the person presenting/publishing it. Don't fall for any of these so called "projections" when it comes to choosing a career.