Which test material should I use?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silly_nay_nay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have test material from PR and kaplan. I have every book from both companies for their complete review on the MCAT. Now question is, which one is better/efficient. Ive read through the PR books once 2 years ago, i have a slightly new version now that was given to me. And the kaplan is also new. I hear different opinions and a lot about EK, however i dont see the point in buying EK books when i already have all this material. I just need opinions/personal experience to see which one i should study with. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have test material from PR and kaplan. I have every book from both companies for their complete review on the MCAT. Now question is, which one is better/efficient. Ive read through the PR books once 2 years ago, i have a slightly new version now that was given to me. And the kaplan is also new. I hear different opinions and a lot about EK, however i dont see the point in buying EK books when i already have all this material. I just need opinions/personal experience to see which one i should study with. Thanks!

With all of the threads on this very topic for the past six months, this is growing old.

The general consensus has been:

• Biology: EK

OChem: BR

GChem: BR by far

Physics: BR by far

Verbal: EK (although I think you should do materials from every source you can find).

With all of the threads on this very topic for the past six months, this is growing old.

Verbal: EK (although I think you should do materials from every source you can find).

I agree with EK for verbal, they have a good review of everything
2.gif

Im really regretting hunting down all that material then for princeton and kaplan when i should've just bought/found EK materials lol. Of course money is tight (especially when going to apply this year), I guess im gonna work with what i have and if i need further prep i will purchase EK. Especially the EK's 101 verbal passages, I've heard it does wonders and that it explains the answers very thoroughly.

In what way do you guys feel that EK and BR is best among their subjects? Is it illustrations? Tips? Wording? Or leaves out unnecessary detail? Just wanting to know how people are grading their study materials.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im really regretting hunting down all that material then for princeton and kaplan when i should've just bought/found EK materials lol. Of course money is tight (especially when going to apply this year), I guess im gonna work with what i have and if i need further prep i will purchase EK. Especially the EK's 101 verbal passages, I've heard it does wonders and that it explains the answers very thoroughly.
Do you have tpr hyperlearning materials from the class or just the regular book? If you have the hyperlearning stuff you should be fine using that. Kaplan is not recommended except for their full-lengths and topicals/sectionals that come with the course.

In what way do you guys feel that EK and BR is best among their subjects? Is it illustrations? Tips? Wording? Or leaves out unnecessary detail? Just wanting to know how people are grading their study materials.
EK verbal 101 is supposed to have the best passages by far.
EK biology is recommended because it leaves out the unnecessary detail.
BR chem/physics/ochem is good because of their passages and explanations. They have good tips and are better than the other companies at explaining how to solve the problems.

Do you have tpr hyperlearning materials from the class or just the regular book? If you have the hyperlearning stuff you should be fine using that. Kaplan is not recommended except for their full-lengths and topicals/sectionals that come with the course.

EK verbal 101 is supposed to have the best passages by far.
EK biology is recommended because it leaves out the unnecessary detail.
BR chem/physics/ochem is good because of their passages and explanations. They have good tips and are better than the other companies at explaining how to solve the problems.

I have the hyperlearning materials from the class. Ive already started using them and have mapped out a schedule with the help of another thread by SN2ed.

I think im gonna go ahead and order the EK verbal book, i reaally need the practice on verbal since it was what bombed my total mcat score.

Thanks for the feedback, I like TPR but you are right, has a lot of unnecessary detail that takes up precious time.

I am trying to stay as strict as I can to my schedule, its modified to gear toward an early august mcat/late July. But my buddy is pushing me to do a mid July mcat. He said my chances of getting an interview early on is worth perhaps the few point reduction i MAY suffer if i take the mcat earlier than scheduled. Im not sure if i can score high enough but i MAY be able to pull it off. Ive studied for this thing before so i know how much it takes and most of it is just a review anyway. The tough part is just getting back into "test shape." Its def a risk taking the mcat 8 weeks from now but getting the apps in early would be huge.

Let the opinions fly...

EK bio was simple to read and cut to the essentials. I know some people complain it's not detailed enough, but if you have been doing well in your biology classes, then it's plenty. It lacks passages, but is very good besides that.

BR is the best in general chemistry, physics, and organic chemistry because they have tons and tons of passages, great answer explanations that teach you how to think your way through the question and often times shows multiple pathways. I loved the test tricks. It's a bit bland in appearance, but the content is great.

I received a boxful of stuff from my brother-in-law, and decided I'd read EK first (because it was least boring and had color), and then went through TPR book, no hyperlearning, after that. I don't know if it's a bad idea to mix two kinds, but I liked it because they explained things differently and covered topics to different extents.

I wish the box had included NOVA physics and Berkeley review, because everyone on here seems to have good things to say about them. I think it had EK, Kaplan, TPR, Barron's, and something else. I didn't touch the other books that I didn't mention above.

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but what does BR stand for ??

I received a boxful of stuff from my brother-in-law, and decided I'd read EK first (because it was least boring and had color), and then went through TPR book, no hyperlearning, after that. I don't know if it's a bad idea to mix two kinds, but I liked it because they explained things differently and covered topics to different extents.

I wish the box had included NOVA physics and Berkeley review, because everyone on here seems to have good things to say about them. I think it had EK, Kaplan, TPR, Barron's, and something else. I didn't touch the other books that I didn't mention above.

Yeah I heard BR and NOVA were good for physical sciences. My sister used EK and liked it. Im using TPR and just skimming over detailed things or things i know enough about. I bought the EK verbal 101, but its the older version designed for the paper mcat, meaning it has 60 q's and 9 passages per practice test. I found some conversions on here but im not sure how accurate they are, and i wanna be as precise as possible. If anyone knows of a good conversion for the EK verbal 101 let me know.

BR stands for Berkley Review by the way...