Which textbk of medicine is better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluesky75

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I am in my 3rd yr.. I have an option of buying CECIL textbk of medicine or HARRISON'S textbk of medicine?

Which one is a better read in terms of format, depth of explaination for pathobiology, investigation and treatment as well as illustrations?
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys! I am in my 3rd yr.. I have an option of buying CECIL textbk of medicine or HARRISON'S textbk of medicine?

Which one is a better read in terms of format, depth of explaination for pathobiology, investigation and treatment as well as illustrations?
thanks!

Nothing better out there than the new Harrison's. It is a real gem of a textbook and beats the competition by by miles. It contains basic science as well as clinical science. I am a surgeon and I find Harrison's a great reference book.

When I was a medical student, I used the library copies of both Cecils and Harrison's but after seeing this new edition, I havn't been near Cecils in two months.

Members don't see this ad :)

thanks!

Harrison's by far. And I think Dr. Rosen wants you to use an online book so you'll spend your money on his review/hand book!

I've seen it at the bookstores btw....while I think the content of your book is pretty good, the format is really unattractive. It doesn't look like a 21st century book. Perhaps that is what you/your publisher were going for, a book which looks like it is all business......But looks do matter. Just my 2 cents.

Harrison's is great as a reference but it is often hard to do indepth reading like that during third year as it is not portable unless you are willing to rip chapters out of the volumes and bring them with you on the wards.

My school uses Cecil's for the medicine rotation, but I own Harrison's, and like it a lot. That said - in reference to the comment about its lack of portability - I haven't bought a PDA reference yet. I keep my trusty baby Robbins at the bottom of my bag - it's not treatment oriented, but I can quickly look something up and understand what's going on.

Cecil's is great for endo and for an easier read. When it comes down to it, Harrison's is probably the best book available for any rotations. It beats any surgery, obgyn, emergency textbook I've seen in terms of quality of content and writing.