1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Which tie?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Timbo0984, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Timbo0984

Timbo0984 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Black suit, light blue shirt, black shoes, black belt. Now, the light blue shirt looks very sharp with my pink and silver diagonal striped tie. Is that too much? Should I go with a more classic boring tie or a white shirt and simple tie? What do you guys think....do the GQ look or not?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gdbaby

gdbaby Prettier than before
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I totally say GQ. When EVERYBODY else wore black to an interview, I wore a brown suit/skirt with a Vogue-d up shirt. The admissions director commented to me how it was refreshing to see someone who didn't look like everyone else.

That being said, I still haven't gotten the acceptance!

Definitely the blue shirt too.

4. Ashanti Rock

Ashanti Rock Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Definately the blue shirt.....I'm not feeling the tie.....maye a dark blue/black tie to contrast the shirt and coordinate with your suit. That would be hot!

5. pagemmapants

pagemmapants Unknown Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Guys + pink = sexy.
    That is all.

6. BMW M3

BMW M3 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Go for it.

I went to my last interview with my grey suit w/ lavender pin stripes over a pale purple shirt w/ a yellow/purple patterned tie. Wear your clothes with pride. It really sets you out from the rest of the crowd

7. logical44

logical44 The bone crusher
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Avoid those bright and striped ties please: Flowers and trees, logos and cartoon characters. I heard so many disturbing stories of students who came with such attire. Just be neat and simple!:)

8. badlydrawnvik

badlydrawnvik Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

i have a pink tie and every single time i've worn it someone said they loved it. in fact i think 5 people at columbia including my interviewer who actually grabbed the tie to see where it was from, an admissions person as soon as i got there, people in my group, and some random person in the hospital elevator commented on it. do it, make me proud.

9. lexy10

lexy10 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

i'm seconding the guys in pink = sexy

10. lastrun82

lastrun82 Member
    5+ Year Member

the last thing you want to be noticed for is what you're wearing...some people may like it, but others may hate it and is it worth the risk?
    i say go as conservative as possible

11. BerkeleyMD

BerkeleyMD Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Being excessively conservative is boring!

We work hard to leave a lasting impression, we try to give responses to stupid question that are anything but conservative for what??

So the adcom dude interviewing you will have a good lasting impression of you.

If you like pink wear it! I have stayed away from it unless I'm at work or at a casual event. I have a black pinstrip suit with a light blue shirt and a white collar- it looks a little more down to business than the pink. But then again, the trumpster wears pink and he's all business.

I have noticed interviewees with pink ties at almost each place I've interviewed at, so I am not sure if you'll get that same uniqueness factor if you and three other guys are also wearing pink ties.

I have a red tie that I have been using for my interviews.

12. dilated

dilated Fought Law; Law Won
    10+ Year Member

Thus we see the essential pink-tie dichotomy: women think "sexy", men think "flaming". If you know your interviewer's a woman, though, maybe you should go for it.

13. lexy10

lexy10 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

i don't think flaming is the word i'd use for a pink tie...actually pink is one of the most professional looks in some countries (ie Ireland)...as a female i am extremely jealous of the guys as they get to have a bit of "fun" with the tie...something that women aren't afforded...i contimplated wearing a tie (and now that i am in at one of my fav schools, who knows, i may wear a tie to my next interview)...the point is be yourself...make a joke or two in your interview..don't be afriad to stand out a bit, as long as you are professional and clean you are fine...to all those who say you don't want to stand out due to your "look" I say admissions officers, like all people, identify people through various methods, what they say, thier file, and HOW THEY LOOK...why not give them a little edge in remembering you in the professional but fun tie...as long as you are not making a mockery of professionalism...

14. dilated

dilated Fought Law; Law Won
    10+ Year Member

Because you're a female. According to my law of pink ties, this is to be expected. :laugh:

15. BerkeleyMD

BerkeleyMD Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    :thumbup:

16. Pontifex Maximus

Pontifex Maximus Rads-a-palooza
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I wear blue. Black stinks :)

17. Chinorean

Chinorean Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Can you picture not getting accepted because you didn't wear the pink tie?
    Can you picture not getting accepted because you did wear the pink tie?

I've heard of some crotchety old interviewers, I don't know how favorably they'd view a flashy-looking applicant. Of course, it's up to you. The benefit of dressing conservatively is that they'll pay attention to your words, not your clothes. The take-home message should be--wow, that guy knew his healthcare systems, not hey I wonder if my husband would look good in that tie.

18. Non-TradTulsa

Non-TradTulsa Senior Member - Resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I decided that for an occasion as formal as an interview, very conservative is always the safest bet (although, for you traditional applicants, I think something like a little pink in the necktie is youthful and quite appropriate). Although I trend toward grey or black, I bought a new dark-blue suit because I'm a blond and grey/black are not my best colors.

Can I have an opinion for an older applicant (that's been driving me crazy)? It will likely be cold on the day of my interview. My old everyday trenchcoat is pretty beat-up. I'm thinking of wearing my good dress coat - which is knee-length black cashmere - it looks expensive and it was (I actually inherited it from my father). Even if my coat is taken at the door, does the coat make a bad statement? Maybe since I'm an older applicant, I should try to look like I'm successful in the career I have now (as long as it's not overdone). What do you think?

19. 63768

63768 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i have two shirts for my interviews. royal blue + silver/royal/sky blue tie and a black with gray pinstripes and a checkered tie. both ways i get compliments. there's a difference between looking outlandish and sharp.

20. Flopotomist

Flopotomist I love the Chicago USPS
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Wear the good dress coat. Assuming it is conservative and tasteful, I can't see how having a nice coat will hurt you. Wearing the beat up coat may make you feel a bit self-conscious which may slightly harm your performance on interview day, so I say wear the coat you are most comfortable in (the nice one)

21. Timbo0984

Timbo0984 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Ok, so the pink might be much, but i have another tie that has more blue and a touch of pink, so its also sharp. Regarding the flaming comment, here's a heads up, statistically, everytime i wore my pink tie, i didn't come home alone, when i didnt, i did. Enough said.

22. tank you

tank you 2K Member
    5+ Year Member

go with the blue, its hot!
    i wore a sky blue shirt w/navy blue suit.

23. Gavanshir

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    None of this really matters, take Jay-Z's advice: "Wear the suit, dont let the suit wear you." No matter what color suit ot tie you are wearing, your personality should ideally be more colorful.

24. Timbo0984

Timbo0984 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Thats true, but when you only have one chance to make an impression, u dont want to have an overkill. I asked one of my friends the same question and he rocked the pink tie to an interview and was actually told, "you look very stylish." so who knows.

25. osli

osli Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I wore a bright/light orange tie paired with light blue shirt and black pinstripe suit. I love the look. Hope they did too. :)

26. little_late_MD

little_late_MD Ready To Jump
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    There is only one acceptable tie to wear on an interview........

[​IMG]

The Bolo Tie!!

27. tacrum43

tacrum43 Behold the mighty echidna
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Actually, at GW, my faculty interviewer did wear a bolo. Seriously.