sahinak

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2009
NY
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi all,

So I'm studying for BS and using EK and really like it but have heard its sortve weak in some areas. I tried supplementing with mcatreview.org but I'm afraid that might not be enough. I have the TPR and BR books but don't want to read them cover to cover.

What topics do guys think is poorly or insufficiently explained in EK bio that I should skip and use the other books???

Thanks in advance!!

mcloaf

7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I took it a while ago but I remember EK genetics being pretty minimal.

OP
S

sahinak

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2009
NY
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks! I guess ill supplement it with TPR?

NervousNerd

5+ Year Member
May 22, 2013
Status
Medical Student
TPR bio has been great for me. Constant 12 subsection score after using their book.

NervousNerd

5+ Year Member
May 22, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Wow nice job, great to know that TPR can be that good...

Which practice questions/passages did you do for practice? TPR Science Workbook? Any other thing? 12 in BS is pretty awesome :)

Not with a 9 in PS :(

But yes, I used the TPR bio book cover to cover. Read each chapter as content review. At the end of the chapter is a drill passage and FSQ's to do. If I did not receive at least a 5/7 on each section, I did not feel comfortable and went back to review more.

Same for the big huge science workbook. I've only done about 10 of those passages out of the 70. But they are really good to find your weakness with.

TPR was really good for me. It laid out everything perfectly and the tables clicked for me

NervousNerd

5+ Year Member
May 22, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Have you taken any TPR full lengths?
Yes. I find that they are more difficult across the board as I have scored much lower than my AAMC tests.

I recommend taking them with a grain of salt. Don't base your scoring on their tests.

Sep 18, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes. I find that they are more difficult across the board as I have scored much lower than my AAMC tests.

I recommend taking them with a grain of salt. Don't base your scoring on their tests.
I really want to have access to them but i'm not enrolled into their course :( any way I can get them?? :(

NervousNerd

5+ Year Member
May 22, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I really want to have access to them but i'm not enrolled into their course :( any way I can get them?? :(
No other way I'm aware of. I wouldn't waste my time with them if I were you though. Better off spending income on AAMC

gettheleadout

MS-4
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Just read TPR Bio.

Reactions: NervousNerd

Next Step Tutor

MCAT Guru
Sponsor
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2013
Tucson, AZ
nextsteptestprep.com
Status
Pre-Medical
I tried supplementing with mcatreview.org but I'm afraid that might not be enough.
Yeah the thing about that website is that it's a great free outline, but it's superficial - you could say even more superficial than the EK books. You're better off going with either TPR/TBR bio.

As for exactly which subjects need to be supplemented, there's a few things you could do:

1. Flip through the book (TPR/TBR/whatever) just looking at the diagrams/charts/etc. and any time you come to a diagram you don't feel comfortable with, review that topic in more depth.
2. Go through the AAMC bio outline and any bullet point that makes you nervous, go look that up.
3. Just use your performance on your FL's as a guide - any passage you struggle with due to lack of confidence with the content, go look that up.

Good luck!! :)

Temperature101

Membership Revoked
Removed
May 27, 2011
Status
Medical Student
There was a thread in here that said you can buy only the online access for $450.00 or $500.oo. I am planning to do that by January/February since I am taking my test in May or June.

OP
S

sahinak

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2009
NY
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah the thing about that website is that it's a great free outline, but it's superficial - you could say even more superficial than the EK books. You're better off going with either TPR/TBR bio.

As for exactly which subjects need to be supplemented, there's a few things you could do:

1. Flip through the book (TPR/TBR/whatever) just looking at the diagrams/charts/etc. and any time you come to a diagram you don't feel comfortable with, review that topic in more depth.
2. Go through the AAMC bio outline and any bullet point that makes you nervous, go look that up.
3. Just use your performance on your FL's as a guide - any passage you struggle with due to lack of confidence with the content, go look that up.

Good luck!! :)
I started realizing how weak ek bio is as soon as I posted this, lol... so started reading chapters in the Campbell textbook correlated to the chap heading for ek. And I make flashcards that are like sorta notecards. Is that crazy? I do feel like I'm learning but of course it's slower.. I'm doing tbr bio passages and now I'll add TPR passages as well. I guess my

I just want to have a good grasp so I can aim for a 12. So I guess my question to you is.. Is this overkill?? Will I be just going through without really internalizing the things necessary for mcat?

OP
S

sahinak

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2009
NY
Status
Pre-Medical
I only used EK bio and got a 14

Congrats on your score! You're definitely super smart.

But I'm not sure how that's constructive advice for me if obviously I'm not as strong in bio or as smart as you since I think ek bio isn't working for me. -.-

Sorry to be harsh.

Reactions: gettheleadout

Next Step Tutor

MCAT Guru
Sponsor
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2013
Tucson, AZ
nextsteptestprep.com
Status
Pre-Medical
Is this overkill?? Will I be just going through without really internalizing the things necessary for mcat?
Overkill's definitely something to be worried about. Keep in mind those three things I listed were meant as a "pick ONE of these approaches" rather than "do all three". A bio textbook plus flashcards certainly sounds fine to me, as long as you're not letting all that work get in the way of doing your practice passages and taking your AAMC FL's.