Which type of LoR would you like to see?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akani

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having trouble deciding which LoRs to send...Crossing fingers to match at a top 10, better than average step 1 & 2, mid-level med school, hoping for a career in academia involving clinical research. I have 1 IM letter and a choice of 3 psych letters to send. They are:

1. Letter from research PI (PhD, non-clinical, published first author abstract/presentation in SOBP, first author pub provisionally accepted to Drug and Alcohol Dependence)
2. Letter from PD at my school (likely pretty good letter)
3. Letter from attending/associate prof (likely very strong letter)
4. Letter from world-renowned psych prof (likely pretty good letter)

Right now, I plan on for sure sending 3 and 4 to all schools and having trouble deciding between 1 and 2. I feel like 1 will give more info but 2 may be weighed highly given its from a PD. Which one do you think would help me be most competitive? If you have a different combo you'd recommend, please share! This is really eating away at me and I would appreciate all the insight I can get!

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Why not send all four? I know some programs let you

Members don't see this ad :)
if you are presenting yourself as an aspiring researcher of some sort would include 1

I think all programs expect one non psych LoR
That's what I get for not reading the whole post, my bad. Agree with above tho, if you want to talk about research, the research letter would be helpful.

I like #1, 3, 4 the most. #4 as long as it is fairly good will go far.

I think letters mean the most to me as a reviewer in the following order:
1 - I know and trust the letter writer (I have worked with them, they are a friend, etc.)
2 - The letter comes from someone very well-known and is a solid letter
3 - The letter comes from someone not really well-known and who I am not familiar with, but it is absolutely glowing and clearly has lots of detail showing that they know you well.
4 - The letter is positive, but not gushing (this is pretty neutral)
5 - The letter is mildly positive or lukewarm (this is a yellow flag; most rec letters are very positive these days)

And the above are for letters by physicians. For PhDs it would be on a case by case basis for me. One from a research mentor / PI is a clearly valuable and relevant letter.

I think all programs expect one non psych LoR

I don't know if this is true. I've probably looked at 50 residency websites and almost all of them have said something like "we want 3 LOR, at least one that is psych." Only 1 or 2 specified wanting a letter outside of psych.

I like #1, 3, 4 the most. #4 as long as it is fairly good will go far.

I think letters mean the most to me as a reviewer in the following order:
1 - I know and trust the letter writer (I have worked with them, they are a friend, etc.)
2 - The letter comes from someone very well-known and is a solid letter
3 - The letter comes from someone not really well-known and who I am not familiar with, but it is absolutely glowing and clearly has lots of detail showing that they know you well.
4 - The letter is positive, but not gushing (this is pretty neutral)
5 - The letter is mildly positive or lukewarm (this is a yellow flag; most rec letters are very positive these days)
Awesome, appreciate the insight! This is what I was feeling as well. Will proceed with that combo. Thank you!

I don't know if this is true. I've probably looked at 50 residency websites and almost all of them have said something like "we want 3 LOR, at least one that is psych." Only 1 or 2 specified wanting a letter outside of psych.
Yea I've seen that too. I think it was standard to send one non-psych LoR but w/ COVID that may have been waived. Either way, I figure if they normally like to see one non-psych letter, it would probably help to include one even though it is not specified.

I will only have psych LORs, is that bad?

PS: psychiatrist IMG, no idea where I would even get a IM letter or something like that. Maybe Neuro would be possible

I will only have psych LORs, is that bad?

PS: psychiatrist IMG, no idea where I would even get a IM letter or something like that. Maybe Neuro would be possible

I would take a look at the websites for your programs. Following their exact instructions is more important than what we can conjecture because every program is different. If a program says "4 letters, at least one non-psych letter," then yes I think it would look "bad" (to use your word) if you don't have a non-psych LOR. If a program says "4 letters, at least one from psychiatry," then you are technically following their directions by only sending psych LORs. If you think you could get a strong neuro letter now, then certainly get it because as you know, we do 2 months of neuro as psych interns.

Reactions: 1 user
I would take a look at the websites for your programs. Following their exact instructions is more important than what we can conjecture because every program is different. If a program says "4 letters, at least one non-psych letter," then yes I think it would look "bad" (to use your word) if you don't have a non-psych LOR. If a program says "4 letters, at least one from psychiatry," then you are technically following their directions by only sending psych LORs. If you think you could get a strong neuro letter now, then certainly get it because as you know, we do 2 months of neuro as psych interns.

This is how I feel. If programs wanted variety, I would hope they would use their words and say so on their website. I think you always want whatever letters you think will be strongest. All else being equal, having one from neuro instead of all from psych might be nice.

Go for the strongest letters. I had three letters- two from psychiatrists who knew me well and one from my PhD advisor who is a well known psych researcher and did quite well with interviews. (This was last years cycle)

Last edited: