Which type of Med School would you choose?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by rjhtamu, Jan 22, 2002.

1. rjhtamu

rjhtamu Stargazer Royale

Would you choose your typical gunner school with a great reputation but where all of your classmates never talk to you and there's little social life?

Or would you choose a Med school that maybe doesn't have that great of reputation, but has small class sizes, and the students are really friendly and get to know eachother well also?

I'm kind of in this situation right now. I know I have a good chance of getting into a med school close by with a great reputation, but I think it might be too much of a gunner school, compared to one even closer that isn't.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Amy

Amy Animal Lover
    Physician

Attending Physician
    No question about it. Go where you'll be happy. Med school is hard enough... you don't want to go where you hate your classmates and have no social life. You'll be miserable. Where you go to school doesn't really matter much anyway... you're patients couldn't care less.

Good luck to you! :)

4. none

none 1K Member

The way you phrase things sounds like you are leaning towards the latter.

5. KyGrlDr2B

I read somewhere that only patients ask where you went to med school, but fellow colleagues ask where you did residency. I thought that was interesting.

Anyway, I say go where you'll be happy. I know a guy who was given full scholarship and then some to a school that he doesnt really want to go to, but he's leaning toward a school he fell in love with on interview day and no scholarship money.

6. DrBlueDevil

In all fairness, I don't think such a clear dichotomy exists. The people I know at top 20 med schools DO find time to get out and enjoy themselves, and they have found at least SOME subset of the class whose company they enjoy....

7. rjhtamu

rjhtamu Stargazer Royale

Thanks for everyone's responses, I'm just afraid that if I do choose to go to this well respected school, all of the other students will be the competitive types that aren't friendly with eachother and don't help others out. But on the other hand, if I do go to the school with the "lesser" reputation, then I'll always wonder knowing that I probably could have gone to the other one.

8. rajneel1

rajneel1 Senior Member

can you share what schools these are?

9. rajneel1

rajneel1 Senior Member

can you share what schools these are?

10. idiot

idiot Member

I'm guessing Southwestern and TX A&M.

Go to SW.

11. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    Go to whichever school you feel "right" about.

I can't explain it, but I knew the moment I stepped on campus for an interview that I was going to go there. It just felt like the place for me.

Sounds corny, but it's a better judge that most anything else.

Good luck with your decision.

JPH