Which type of school would PD's prefer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmdoc007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a quick question. All else being equal (scores, LORs, USCE, etc.) , would a Caribbean native with a degree from a UK med school, be viewed as more desirable than a Caribbean native with a degree from a national (non-offshore) med school? Or would the school not matter in this case? In other words, would you recommend that Caribbean native to accrue significant debt in order to attend a UK med school, in lieu of attending the national med school (where no loans would be necessary). Is there any benefit to be gained from this (such as making the application more likely to be looked at) and would you say that the benefits outweigh the added cost?

I ask this because I know that the UK schools have amazing international reputations, but I don't know if it would be that much more of an advantage to attend there as opposed to one's own medical school, seeing as though that's where I think -I could be wrong- most PD's would expect FMGs to attend (I.e. schools in their own country) and thus they would not be put further at a disadvantage (than already being an FMG) for not attending a more prestigious school in another country.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Some specifics would help.

In general, this is a crystal-ball question, which is not really answerable and certainly for the amount of money and effort you're about to put in, you should definitely be getting better advice than here.

Having said that, I will say that most (all?) PDs who interview applicants from International (don't use the acronym FMG) Medical Schools have a list of preferred or "known" schools. If you are considering a school, they should be able to show your their US Residency match list. If they don't have one or make vague statements, move along. You will not be "the first" to match out of their school to the US.

The "Big 4" Caribbean match well across the US. I would avoid others.

I'm aware of Irish schools matching into the US (Royal College, Trinity, UCD). I do not have any personal experience with IMGs from other UK programs.

The explosion of medical education in places like Australia that are designed to match folks back into the US (Manipal used to do this?) seems to be more questionable. I would stick with places that have good track records.

The overall prospects for residency in the US will remain viable until AMGs are willing to do medicine programs in small cities without a University affialiation. That day is (at shortest) several years off. It may (or may not) come to pass, depending on who you talk to.

Thanks for responding. I think there may have been a misunderstanding, the Caribbean university I'm talking about falls in a separate category from "the big 4". The "Big 4" fall under the category of offshore med schools. When I was speaking of non-offshore med schools I was referring to one's that weren't made for the purpose of educating and sending doctors back to the US. The school I am speaking of specifically, offers the MBBS degree, which is the same one offered in the UK as it is based on the UK system. It was started in 1948 and its doctors used to be automatically GMC certified and could practice in the UK without immediately after graduation without sitting any sort of exam, up until 2004 when the EU came in, and it has other faculties such as social science, law, humanities, etc. so it is a regional university (serves 14 countries) aimed at producing a labour force for the Caribbean region (just like how a med school in the Singapore would aim to produce doctors for Singapore). So they wouldn't have a "match list" just like they don't prepare you specifically to sit the USMLEs as their aim is not to send people back to the US (such as the big 4 and other off-shore med schools). Thus it's in a completely different category from the offshore schools which is why I was wondering if there would be any detriment in attending it when compared to a UK university, seeing as though it's a regional university and not an offshore one.

Do you need any more specifics?

Oh and may I ask, what is wrong with the term FMG?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am relatively new as a PD, but if your goal is to gain a residency in the US, as opposed to working in the Caribbean, then my advice is to do your medical education somewhere where that is the usual route. PDs prefer known quantities and you (or anyone) is extremely unlikely to get even a cursory look at as a residency applicant from a medical school that has never matched someone to the US. Not saying it couldn't happen, just very unlikely in my experience.

FMG is not the preferred acronym. "Foreign" having connotations that "International" does not.

I see what you're saying. I do know of people that have matched from there, I was just saying there wouldn't be an official match list as sending doctors away wouldn't be their goal. Thanks for your advice.

I am relatively new as a PD, but if your goal is to gain a residency in the US, as opposed to working in the Caribbean, then my advice is to do your medical education somewhere where that is the usual route. PDs prefer known quantities and you (or anyone) is extremely unlikely to get even a cursory look at as a residency applicant from a medical school that has never matched someone to the US. Not saying it couldn't happen, just very unlikely in my experience.

FMG is not the preferred acronym. "Foreign" having connotations that "International" does not.
For what it's worth, for people who make the distinction, FMG usually refers to non-US citizen graduates of non-US medical schools and IMG usually refers to US-citizen graduates of non-US medical schools.

I see what you're saying. I do know of people that have matched from there, I was just saying there wouldn't be an official match list as sending doctors away wouldn't be their goal. Thanks for your advice.
I currently study at a UK medical school. I don't think its worth going to the UK and paying much higher tuition in order to match to the US if that is your goal. If you solely want to practice in the US, I would just attend the medical school in the Caribbean. Most PDs will know that UWS is a non-offshore school so won't put that against you. I'm not sure if graduating from UWS entitles you to practice in the UK, but if you do go to medical school in the UK, you can always practice in the UK.

If you are thinking of practicing in the UK, I would look at UK medical schools, otherwise a Caribbean school will do you no harm when applying to the US.