Which university AuD programs have the most seats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringAuD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from Canada and I just finished my freshman year. I'm interested in doing a dual certification in AuD and SLP. I wanted to know which universities have the most seats specifically for AuD? When the time comes, I want to apply for both programs.

Also, just for clarification.. does a 3.0GPA=80%, and a 3.5GPA=85%?

Do they look at mainly your GPA for the last two years of undergrad or the overall GPA?

And in terms of GRE scores, is anything above 1000 considered competitive?

Any help is much appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to our little group! I could be wrong and things might be different in Canada, but I think programs that offer dual AuD and SLP programs are very rare. What are you most interested in doing?

Thanks! :)

I'm more interested in audiology. I think you're right - I haven't heard of an actual dual program. I think I would have to do them separately..either SLP or AuD first and then the other.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, (and I'm biased because it's always been my understanding that SLPs and audiologists do pretty different things) I'm not sure of the advantages of being both an AuD and an SLP. All of the speech and hearing professionals I've met so far have more than enough clients in there caseloads, no matter the setting. One area that might want to hire someone who is both an SLP and an audiologist could be a school system, because their caseloads are so enormous and public schools systems often can afford enough clinicians to go around! But I haven't seen/heard about anyone doing that.

These are super general questions and I'm sure an AuD student could help you more. First, what are you most interested in doing? Do you want to study the science of hearing and balance, assess clients with hearing and balance problems, dispense hearing aids, map cochlear implants, etc.? If so, you probably want to be an AuD.

Or are you interested learning how to evaluate and treat a whole range of speech, language, and swallowing disorders? Then become an SLP.

If you are ONLY interested aural rehabilitation/auditory training, you might be bored in a master's SLP program. Accredited MS SLP programs are required to include course work in all of the following areas:
Language Disorders
Phonology/Fluency
Motor Speech Disorders
Voice Disorders
Swallowing
Augmentative and Alternative Communication
Aural Rehabilitation
But there are definitely SLP MS programs out there that would allow you to specialize in treating Deaf/hearing impaired populations. Gallaudet comes to mind.

If you are interested in research, teaching, and obtaining a doctoral degree there are also SLP/CSD PhD programs and speech and hearing science PhD programs out there, in addition to AuD programs.

Finally, if you haven't checked it out already, www.asha.org provides concise info about both professions.

Texas State University in San Marcos offers a dual program I am sure at undergrad level

Thanks! :)

I'm more interested in audiology. I think you're right - I haven't heard of an actual dual program. I think I would have to do them separately..either SLP or AuD first and then the other.

Hi AspiringAUD,

I'm a clinical audiologist and I've worked in ENT private practices for several years. I can tell you that it is highly unusual for new grads to have dual certification. (I think dual cert programs were more common a decade or so ago.)

Those individuals I've met who do have dual certification don't use both degrees. They work either as an SLP or as an audiologist. If you know that you're more interested in audiology, you should pursue that field and not get distracted by adding a degree that you are unlikely to use in clinical practice.

Good luck!