Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

which upper level classes can subtitute gen chem credits

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by tn4596, Aug 9, 2011.

1. tn4596

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    title said it.
    I took AP credits for gen chem, both semester. but then last summer i took gen chem 1 at local college because i thought that would be better for med school. come back and ask my premed advisor, she said it is redundant and med schools in texas accept AP. Well, i guess she didnt know school outside TX doesnt look upon AP credit favorably.
    So...I skipped out on gen chem II this summer, cuz I do think taking gen chem after you took biochem and ochem is purely a waste of time. I aldy taken 2 semester of biochem, can that substitute for one semester of gen chem?
    If nothing on my transcript can substitute for it, can i take chem II next summer while I am applying?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ktran17

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    It depends on the school. Some schools specify that they want genchem I,II. Other schools just require two semesters of inorganic chemistry.

4. intj

intj dabbler
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Generally, your AP credit and two semesters of biochem will satisfy the chem requirement.

I did the AP chem + gen chem 2 + 1 semester of biochem sequence and this is fine for all of the schools (18 of them) that I applied to!