which upper level classes can subtitute gen chem credits

tn4596

7+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2011
Status
Medical Student
title said it.
I took AP credits for gen chem, both semester. but then last summer i took gen chem 1 at local college because i thought that would be better for med school. come back and ask my premed advisor, she said it is redundant and med schools in texas accept AP. Well, i guess she didnt know school outside TX doesnt look upon AP credit favorably.
So...I skipped out on gen chem II this summer, cuz I do think taking gen chem after you took biochem and ochem is purely a waste of time. I aldy taken 2 semester of biochem, can that substitute for one semester of gen chem?
If nothing on my transcript can substitute for it, can i take chem II next summer while I am applying?

ktran17

7+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2011
socal
Status
Dentist
It depends on the school. Some schools specify that they want genchem I,II. Other schools just require two semesters of inorganic chemistry.

intj

dabbler
7+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Generally, your AP credit and two semesters of biochem will satisfy the chem requirement.

I did the AP chem + gen chem 2 + 1 semester of biochem sequence and this is fine for all of the schools (18 of them) that I applied to!

About the Ads