Which Vet school should I go to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zelko

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am just finishing undergrad and got accepted into the Royal Veterinary College, Glasgow and I am sill waiting to hear from Oregon,Washington, Western, and Davis. I would like to work internationally, but eventually end up practicing in the US. I would like to go into food animal medicine. Which school should I go to? I guess in the UK the vet program is a bachelors program in which case I will not be a doctor. I was wondering if I take the VMCAS test could I put the dr. in front of my name?( I know this is shallow but it gives me another determining factor on which school I would like to go to) Also does anyone know a list of countries I could work in with having just having a degree from the US or with a royal veterinary surgeon degree?

Members don't see this ad.

So I am just finishing undergrad and got accepted into the Royal Veterinary College, Glasgow and I am sill waiting to hear from Oregon,Washington, Western, and Davis. I would like to work internationally, but eventually end up practicing in the US. I would like to go into food animal medicine. Which school should I go to? I guess in the UK the vet program is a bachelors program in which case I will not be a doctor. I was wondering if I take the VMCAS test could I put the dr. in front of my name?( I know this is shallow but it gives me another determining factor on which school I would like to go to) Also does anyone know a list of countries I could work in with having just having a degree from the US or with a royal veterinary surgeon degree?

Graduating from Glasgow or RVC will have no affect on your abilities to call yourself doctor in your future career in the US. (or at least it hasn't for the docs I have worked with from one of those schools.

Something to consider though is that in many countries vets are not paid as much as they are in the USA, so with a US students loans you may be unable to afford to live in a foreign country while paying off your student loans.

I guess in the UK the vet program is a bachelors program in which case I will not be a doctor. I was wondering if I take the VMCAS test could I put the dr. in front of my name?( I know this is shallow but it gives me another determining factor on which school I would like to go to)

I don't think that is shallow, you are putting in the effort and time and you deserve the recognition. This reminds me of the whole registerd nurses getting the big "Dr...." before their name transition going on in the US.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=100921215

But I have no idea what you are talking about in regards to the UK programs not being equivalent to a "Dr." IMO - if the school is AVMA, then you are in a program at or surpassing the American standard making you a freaking DVM, Dr. prefix included. Like I said though, this is my opinion and I might be a little worried if you have found evidence to say otherwise....

Members don't see this ad :)
If you go to Glasgow or RVC your title would be: Name BVMS MRCVS...you are correct in that if you worked abroad you would only be considered ms/mrs/mr unless you went for another upper level degree, but as AVMA accredited schools, you have to take the NAVLE and your state boards when you decide what state you want to work in...And anywhere in the states you will be considered "Doctor." Don't let the title affect where you go, because it's the same degree...think about where you think you will be most successful in accomplishing your goals...if you would like to work abroad, I would seriously consider the UK schools, but go where you gut tells you!!! No matter where, you will have a fantastic opportunity and amazing experiences!!

I am really torn between Glasgow and RVC. Anyone has any suggestions on the pros and cons of each school?

I now how you feel...I was torn between Glasgow and Dublin for a very long time. I don't know much about RVC because I didn't apply there, but I know from visiting Glasgow and pretty much picking the brain of my friend who goes there that it has been an amazing experience. The lectures I went to were great, and the hands on experience starting the first year was stellar. Plus, every single person I met was SOOO nice and seemed to care about their peers and what they are doing. I'm sorry I can't offer more advice towards RVC, but if you have any questions about what I know about Glasgow, let me know!!! Here is a website about a current student at Glasgow too for added fun! http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/rquam/ .....and Pjlovin on the Glasgow thread is also a good source of info...

Good Luck!!

would you mind mentioning when you interviewed and when you heard from RVC? I interviewed there and they said we'd hear by the end of this month the latest, which is like this week. I'm starting to think it's a no for me...

btw, you don't take a VMCAS test to be a vet in the US. You take the NAVLE.

And with the RCVS certification (from Glasgow or RVC) you can work in the UK, EU, US, Australia, and New Zealand. With a US degree, I think there are exams or certification processes you would have to take to be licensed in other countries. Also, if you graduate from the US, you can't just up and decide you'd like to live in some country if you're not a citizen. For example, to get a job in the EU and a work visa, you need prove (or your employer does) that you will be performing a job that no one in the EU can do. If there's enough veterinary grads in the EU, that may be hard. I'd imagine there are similar restrictions with other countries.

I now how you feel...I was torn between Glasgow and Dublin for a very long time. I don't know much about RVC because I didn't apply there, but I know from visiting Glasgow and pretty much picking the brain of my friend who goes there that it has been an amazing experience. The lectures I went to were great, and the hands on experience starting the first year was stellar. Plus, every single person I met was SOOO nice and seemed to care about their peers and what they are doing. I'm sorry I can't offer more advice towards RVC, but if you have any questions about what I know about Glasgow, let me know!!! Here is a website about a current student at Glasgow too for added fun! http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/rquam/ .....and Pjlovin on the Glasgow thread is also a good source of info...

Good Luck!!

Hi Shortnsweet,

I'm trying to decide to go to Dublin or not. You said everyone in Glasgow was so nice, was that not the case at UCD? I have heard stories that some European schools are not as friendly/open as some US schools. What do you think? Thanks!

With a US degree, I think there are exams or certification processes you would have to take to be licensed in other countries.
If you have a US degree, all you have to do is go to the UK and pay the fee to get the MRCVS title.

If you have a US degree, all you have to do is go to the UK and pay the fee to get the MRCVS title.

Which is gonna be a HECKUVA lot harder than it sounds, with the economic situation there putting EXTREME restrictions on immigration now.

You have to proove that there is NO ONE in the UK who can do the same job as you, AND that there is sufficient demand for you once you get there.

I'll be lucky if my SO can get a work visa himself, even IF he gets an offer... :oops:

pyxystyx beat me to it:) It's not a breeze to set up work internationally. You can't just waltz into a country off a plane...some of my friends got sent home at the UK border patrol during study abroad for not being able to provide one specific document, despite the many others they had.