Which way to go

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lws324

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a possible career changer in need of some advice.

After being in manufacturing for 20 years as a machinist and in supervision, I found myself unable to move up the ladder without a degree. I was told quite frankly that I shouldn't expect to move up any further unless I pursue an education. After a great deal of research, I enrolled at CTU online, and I am currently working on an Associates in Business Administration.

I hated the idea of going back to school. As an Associate Pastor at 40 years old with a full time job and a family, it seemed like an insane idea. However, I was surprised to find that I'm actually enjoying it. I've decided that I won't stop at an Associates degree. My company reimburses, so I have finally, after all these years, come to realize that it is an opportunity I must take advantage of.

I've always been intersted in psychology. It goes well with my secondary profession of being a minister.

Now for my question. Don't crucify me over this. I've read other threads on the topic I'm about to bring up. I know that it's not considered a good idea to get a Masters degree online, but what about getting a BA online? I am considering Liberty University, which is the number three online school. It is not APA accredited. I would then transfer to John Brown University to complete my Masters degree at night.

I'm open to suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

I think I wouldn't recommend getting your B.A. online, though following it up with a Master's seems like a good idea. The only issue I have with the e-BA (so to speak) is whether or not it will affect your chances at getting a masters (I don't know either way).

Whichever way you decide to go about this, have you considered a degree (masters level) in Pastoral Counseling?

APA accreditation doesn't exist for bachelor's or master's programs (in Counseling, they can be accredited by CACREP--I see that JBU isn't... That may be a concern), so you're good there. I agree that a brick and motar school would be best in terms of faculty interaction, etc., also that a Masters in Pastoral Counseling might be good, though I'm not sure if graduates from such programs are generally license-eligible or not.