Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Which would I have a better chance at?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MyEyesMesmerize, May 29, 2002.

1. MyEyesMesmerize

MyEyesMesmerize Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

If my application is not "average", and by that I mean ~3.5 post bacc GPA, 3.0 undergrad, 27-29 MCAT (i'll know for sure in a week), the typical EC's that include volunteer work, leadership, and some research, should I bother applying to schools that are not in my state that take mostly in state applicants? For example, schools such as UMDNJ, MSU, Wake Forest, etc. Let me know what u think.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

My rule of thumb was I did not apply to schools that did not take at least 25% out-of-staters.

3. OP
    OP
    MyEyesMesmerize

MyEyesMesmerize Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Oops forgot to compare applying to those schools as opposed to higher ranked private schools like georgetown for instance. That is what i mean by having a better chance at. Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. seaturtle112

seaturtle112 Member
    7+ Year Member

hey MyEyesMesmerize, our stories sound powerfully similar. 3.1 undergrad, 3.7 grad, find out the MCAT in a week... volunteer, worked as a nurse aide for over a year too. other stuff... blah blah, yadda yadda... oh yeah, i'm not a URM. here's my list!

Medical College of Ohio
    Ohio State
    Wright State
    Cincinatti
    MCW
    Wake Forest
    Tulane
    Vermont
    George Washington

and these two (hey, why not... its just 30 bucks :) )
    Case Western
    Rochester

also these DO schools:
    Midwestern U (chicago), Ohio U, Lake Erie

and BTW, i'm an Ohio resident. God bless the state legislature and their policy of littering the state with medical schools. :) This applying to med school thing may be a ultimately be a futile endeavor, but I shall cast my bread upon the water on June 5th nonetheless. we'll see what comes of it! :)

best of luck to all SDN'ers!! i love you guys!!

5. brickmanli

brickmanli Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

try to find out how many out of state residents each state school takes. I didn't know about policies of Wright State and got rejected being a CT resident. Also stats for in-state and out-of-state matriculants could differ with the latter being higher. Pritzker School of Medicine takes 25% Illinois residents even though it's a private school, but the University at Buffalo only takes a handful of out-of-state residents. I think sometimes it's harder to get into a state school from another state than Harvard Med.

Who knows, you might've done better than you thought on your MCAT.

6. vyc

vyc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i'm a CA resident and i didn't apply to any other state schools.
    bc even with the ones that take up to like 25% out of staters, i didn't think it was worth it.

it's so hard getting in period, why apply to schools that PREFER other people?

my answer?
    yes, IMHO, i think you have a better chance at some of those private schools than the state schools, not in your state.