Which would you choose: Learning research lab OR Publication lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dreaming big

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of these labs provides a really high quality of research with minimal pubs, while the other has a ton of pubs (like 3 a year). Which would you choose and why?

edit: the pubs will be like 3rd, 4th, or 5th authorship, maybe earlier in latter years.

Members don't see this ad.

The first one...nothing irritates me more than "finishing" something without having a very thorough understanding of it... IMHO the quality of the research process/experience is the most important so that something can actually be taken away from the experience..but thats just me..

Well, obviosly go with the lab that you find more interesting. Neither of these factors are important enough to choose one lab over the other. If you think you'll enjoy working in both, I would go with the one that pumps out a bunch of publications.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although learning is important, publications last a lifetime. When you're 75, you're CV will still contain the pub you had freshman year of college.

Pick the lab where you find the research most interesting. Also, I'd want a good PI that will be supportive of my own research project and pursuing the questions I want to ask myself.

3 pubs a year is not that many lol.

Although learning is important, publications last a lifetime. When you're 75, you're CV will still contain the pub you had freshman year of college.

My research advisor does not list the pubs she picked up in college on her CV. I'd go with the lab in which you'll learn more about conducting research.

My research advisor does not list the pubs she picked up in college on her CV. I'd go with the lab in which you'll learn more about conducting research.

Your research adviser isn't a premed who would greatly benefit from having ANY publications.

for an undergrad with no experience?

In my old lab it wasn't uncommon for summer students to be published 3 times, we basically had a publication every month. It was a somewhat huge lab (one summer we had 26 people, plus the clinical people who collected the samples) and most of our stuff was in genetics so it was relatively "easy" to publish.

Also the PI was on the adcom and basically all he cared about was publications, on the other hand I've also met others who care about what you've learned more and don't like premeds who only "collect" publications.

Members don't see this ad :)
3 pubs a year is not that many lol.

for a PI and an entire lab its not, but for an undergrad (or even a beginning graduate student) 3 pubs a year is huge.

This depends on your long term goals. If you want something to look shiny and impressive on your resume, go for the lab where you are likely to be published. If you plan to continue doing research or want to enter a combined degree program, your goal should be to learn techniques, start your own projects, and write up your own publications rather than doing one single task as quickly as possible to help push forward a publication date.

Which is your goal?

In my opinion as an MSII, take the publications. I've been in one of those great research labs that I've thoroughly enjoyed but have not gotten hardly any pubs out of it. Even though I love everybody I work with, if I had to go back and do it all over again I would strictly choose publications over the quality of the lab.

I'm thinking of applying to residencies in a few years, and people don't give a crap how much you liked your lab and how much you learned there. They want to see results. The number of publications is important.

To me, it's like asking if you would rather take an A and not learn as much, or get a C and learn a ton. Tough call, but I'd take the A, as it may open doors for you in the future. A grade of C may slam doors for you, no matter how much you learned.

Anyways, ideally you'd get in a lab with a bunch of pubs and great research, but if it's not the case choose the pubs. I've heard many medical students whining about not getting pubs, but I haven't heard a single one whining about not liking a lab they are getting 5 pubs from a year.

One of these labs provides a really high quality of research with minimal pubs, while the other has a ton of pubs (like 3 a year). Which would you choose and why?

edit: the pubs will be like 3rd, 4th, or 5th authorship, maybe earlier in latter years.

Publications.

Go with the publication. I can't tell you how lucky I am that I researched with a professor that publishes. I worked with him for a year, and two years later he published our work. I only found out later that he published the work from an old colleague I bumped into at the supermarket. I honestly think it helped me get an interview at Case.

You always have time later in life to settle down to do non-pub research.

Last edited:
No one looking at your CV is going to care about 3rd, 4th, 5th authorship. Also, please consider the quality of the journals they are publishing in. If I were you I would go with the lab whose research you are most interested in and the lab in which you think you will learn the most.

In my opinion as an MSII, take the publications. I've been in one of those great research labs that I've thoroughly enjoyed but have not gotten hardly any pubs out of it. Even though I love everybody I work with, if I had to go back and do it all over again I would strictly choose publications over the quality of the lab.

I'm thinking of applying to residencies in a few years, and people don't give a crap how much you liked your lab and how much you learned there. They want to see results. The number of publications is important.

To me, it's like asking if you would rather take an A and not learn as much, or get a C and learn a ton. Tough call, but I'd take the A, as it may open doors for you in the future. A grade of C may slam doors for you, no matter how much you learned.

Anyways, ideally you'd get in a lab with a bunch of pubs and great research, but if it's not the case choose the pubs. I've heard many medical students whining about not getting pubs, but I haven't heard a single one whining about not liking a lab they are getting 5 pubs from a year.

I see. Well, got my first pub today, so I guess I made the right choice according to many (I went for the publishing lab).