Which would you choose: Pitt or Temple?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alfie5884

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got into Pitt and I have a interview scheduled at Temple in January. I'm debating whether or not to go :confused:

Which school is better? Considering National Board scores, quality of education, cost, etc.?

Any advice would be great! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I don't really know anything about Pitt, but judging from my interview Temple is definitely a good school. The students and staff there are very friendly. There is no shortage of patients at Temple...it seems as if it will definitely prepare you really well clinically. So I'm assuming it probably produces great board scores.

alfie5884 said:
I got into Pitt and I have a interview scheduled at Temple in January. I'm debating whether or not to go :confused:

Which school is better? Considering National Board scores, quality of education, cost, etc.?

Any advice would be great! :D

when did you interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
alfie5884 said:
I interviewed at Pitt on 11/21

Thats funny because I got into temple and I'm not going to go to Pitt next month for an interview. What i liked about Temple was the huge patient pool, students love the school which i think is very important and the amount of experience you get. The facilities are not the nicest or newest but, they are still good. I dont know how Pitt is, but i really like temple.

broncob -- congrats on getting into temple! im glad you are happy to go there, but it doesn't really sound like you are making an informed decision.

i'm only playing devil's advocate because my two friends (D3) at temple both wish they went to pitt instead...

if you go to pitt and still like temple, great! you might be out a few bucks but you'll have the peace of mind that you truly looked at all of your options and made an educated decision.

speaking for broncoB and myself I think we have made an informed decision. Not trying to ague, just saying that we have both seen plenty of schools and so far have liked Temple the best. I think it's funny how some people hate one school and like another, but another person can be just the opposite. I choose temple for the best reason...I want to be an OWL. :D

I'm leaning towards Pitt over Temple because you have to do ALL of your own lab work at Temple and that seems like a lot of wasted hours. Plus, I don't like the thought of having to possibly pay for your patients if they default on their payment.

I just don't honestly want to get into clinic and hurt someone becuase I may feel unprepared when I enter clinic (just reiterating what a student said to me when we went to lunch at Temple).

That's my 2 cents. Definately worth going out to check out Pitt even if you're already in. You mau even like it.

We hear nothing but good things about our Pennsylvania brothers down at Pitt.

In fact, the former Dean of Pitt Dental (Jon Suzuki) is now an assistant dean at Temple and a professor of periodontology. THe guy is a world renowned periodontist....check out his credentials!!! :eek:

I dont know why he went from dean of pitt to assistant dean at Temple....could have been political, personal...who knows.

Also, hearing from my friends here from Pittsburgh, its really not a fun city to live in, especially as a student....whereas Philly's student life thrives. However, if you are not looking for that, then you cant go wrong with both schools! :thumbup: