Which would you choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school would you choose?

• New Jersey Med School

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Robert wood johnson medical school

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • Stony Brook

Votes: 26 36.1%
  • Penn State

Votes: 20 27.8%

• Total voters

Kaur

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Which school would you choose: NJMS, RWJ, or Stony Brook? (i'm also waiting to hear from Penn State). I'm a NJ resident, but I want to go to the best school. Which would you recommend and why??? What criteria are you looking at when choosing your school? Thankkssss!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would choose either NJMS or RWJ. NJMS, if you are more inclined to becoming a clinician and RWJ, if you are into research. :) BTW, I think all the schools you mentioned have about the same reputation.

Stony Brook easily wins over Penn State. I didn't apply to the NJ schools so I wouldn't know about those. I liked the hospital and the location of Penn State, but there are serious holes in the curriculum (As told to me by a current student). Stony Brook is a better name if you're looking for a more competitive residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rep-wise, I'd have to go with RWJ. It's a strong med school, and you being a resident of NJ is icing on the cake. If the tuition/finanical aid differences are negligable, I'd go to RWJ. I'd base my decision primarily on financial aid and tuition since med school curriculum is so standardized these days that you should be able to become a good physician irrespective of where you end up at, and residency programs only consider med school rankings in terms of tiers (not usnews numbers), and I'd say that all of those schools are roughly within the same tier, with maybe RWJ being one tier higher (reputation-wise alone). Congrats on your acceptances.

Hi..thank you for your replies! So how do you really find out which college has a better rep? .......and people who voted for Stony..please add whyyyyyy b/c I am leaning toward it, just b/c I want to get out of Jersey, but then again, LI isn't all that different.

Any Stony or RWJ students out there want to share their thoughts?