Which year is most stressful?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xtractor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm curious to know what year you all think is most stressful. I'm sure it will be the same for pretty much all schools, unless if you count studying for NBDE I as a major stressor.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm only a D2 but I would agree D2 was more stressful than D1

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on what kinda student you are. If you're book smart but can't hold a conversation, then years 3 and 4 will suck. And vice-versa, if you have the attention span of a 5 year old but rock doing real dentistry, then years 1 and 2 will suck.

The difficulty between year 1 and 2 depends on what school you attend. If you take boards after D1, 1st year will blow; whereas D2 sucks more you take the boards after 2nd year.

Hup

D1 by far at Pitt - we take boards after year 1, so year two is much more laid back and actually dentally related. About to finish up the second semester of D2, and this has been the most relaxed semester yet - since the middle of the semester I haven't even had school on Mondays, and other than Tuesday and Thursday, only 2-3 hours on Wednesday or Friday with some rotations here and there.

Maryland students take their NBDE I after first year. Should I expect D1 at Maryland to be more intense than D2? Anyone from Maryland?

the year you start working, paying taxes and repaying loans!! :D:D:D

D1 was more intense than D2, but not by much. I think 4th year will have its own challenges because I'll be studying for boards part II, worrying about licensure, job searching, worrying about paying for student loans once I graduate, and getting things packed and ready to move back home to Florida. Basically, the scary transition from student to "the real world".

first semester first year is hardest at columbia, 2nd semester is easier, third inbetween, and then the rest is shifting to more preclinic/clinic so its a different kind of stress.

Whatever year you are currently in. Last year the D1's said first year was the hardest, now they say it's cake compared to D2. The D3's and D4's say their years may not be the hardest, but are the most stressful. Just take it one day at a time and try not to look ahead because that's when it gets scary.

(easiest) D4 < D3 < D1 < D2 (hardest)

D1 classes (med classes) individually were probably harder than any other dental school class but in D2 we have 2 to 3x the # of classes at any given time compared to D1 PLUS we start clinic in the fall that year at SB PLUS we have to study for boards in the spring. When you have 2-3 exams every week it gets pretty bad.

Maryland students take their NBDE I after first year. Should I expect D1 at Maryland to be more intense than D2? Anyone from Maryland?

I'm a D2 there now. HupHolland went to Maryland, I think, if you want another opinion.

For me, D1 was way harder than D2. I was rocking out on 3-5hrs of sleep most nights, and that isn't an exaggeration.

D2 has been much more relaxed. The classes are easier, and my study skills/habits are much improved since D1. We'll have an occasional tough week, but overall it's been a cakewalk compared to last year.

D1- had no time outside of school because of studying, but less stress because grades were under my control
D2- tons of lab work- hated doing crap- hated this year the most, but not too stressful with the exception of practicals
D3- completing things is completely out of your control- I would say most stressful
D4- great, until boards and trying to finish-which the stress of that might make up for a year of stress 3rd year.

So have fun in dental school.....

most difficult? for sure first year for me (we took boards after first year)

most stressful? 4th yr... you have to take part II boards, take/pass licensure exam, finish your requirements, and start looking for a job; especially once you see how much you owe and realize you need a job asap!